Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up Who wets their bee suit before inspecting their hives?

Hey...

I figured out how to stay cool while inspecting the hives!!! Take a quick shower, and then put on a semi-wet bee suit. I wet the leg, arm and underarm areas! I don't sweat anymore, and my mind can stay focused on the hives and not my hot condition!

Anyone else do this?

-Lori

Default Re: Who wets their bee suit before inspecting their hives?

When I read your thread title I thought you meant who wets their bee suit before inspecting because they were nervous!

Ok, I get what you're saying. Good idea Lori!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Thumbs Up Re: Who wets their bee suit before inspecting their hives?

If you were as old as me, you'd have a much different reason for a wet bee suit Well, it was over 120 F in the grass while I added a feeder to a hive yesterday. 105 F air temperature. When its that warm, you break the task into small parts and take longer to get it done and cooling off between times. You work on getting faster too.

Our humidity reduces the efficiency of the cooling effect resulting from evaporation, so can't emagine doing that here....But parts of my bee costume are fairly wet by the time I get done anyway.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Get an ultrabreeze

I agree with coppermouse, bees can sting eaiser where material is WET they can even sting through wet leather gloves.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I have a full bee suit that has never been taken out of the package. I bought a bee jacket and veil and found that in Mississippi that it was too hot. I then ordered a 'bee vest with veil" from Rossman and have been wearing it ever since. I wear it with a T-shirt and shorts and have had no problems. It is still hot, but it is the best I have found. I've never worn gloves, and the bees don't seem to bother my arms as long as I use smoke, so I just keep on keeping on. lol

CharlieB- you win the award for the funniest response this year. As for the suit talk, I would encourage anyone who is going to or who works at a hospital to get a white surgical suit. They are light weight and ...........free! If you don't have a conscious...it is much easier to take one. Usually they only use them once and toss them anyway, so it might be better to ask. It is also known in these parts as a bunny suit. The bees might be able to sting through mine, but I haven't gotten zapped yet. juzzerbee

Let's see....a good looking woman in a wet bee suit. Sounds like a great center fold for the July issue of "Play Bee" magazine!

Hive Hefner or Hugh Hivener would be proud

Okay now...were talking about keeping those bees in check. I get my sugar spray out and water down those ones that get feisty. Don't make me have to get out that sugar syrup!!!

Sounds like no one really beelieves Lori and without a picture, I too, doubt it happened!

Getting a little
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Sorry. Lori, it has been very hot and humid here in recent weeks so it really doesn't matter to me because within a matter or minutes I'm soaked anyway. I only wear a jacket and veil when I'm inspecting and can't imagine wearing a full suit.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-29-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: UNQuote

I am abit distracted by a lady and h2o ,but my remedy to the heat.I purchased one of those fold out canopy's 10x10 in 2 minutes I have a cloud that follows me and adios burning up in the sun http://www.ecanopy.com/ez-up-canopie...FQgFnQodvzkK7w I am a newbie less than 1 year into bee keeping and have 29 hives,takes me a little while to go through them as I am still learning what I want to see inside the hive and what I should know I shouldnt see inside the hive.

I was a bit taken back by how things got twisted with this new thread. I made some poor profile choices that may have revealed my identity. My husband helped me fix that issue...

My recent response was suppose to come across as though I felt things were being taken to an extreme that was not good, but I don't think it came out with the feeling I wanted. I want to apologize to the moderator, honeyman. I knew you would respond. Thank you for your tactfulness.

BTW, it is true that I spray those irritated bees with sugar syrup, and it seems to keep them more in line, and less 'sting happy.' I used to try to smoke them, but that never helped...

I have my hives in a shady area that has spotty sun. Most of the sun is during early Am and late PM. I feel that where I live this should work fine, esp. due to the fact the trees above lose their leaves during winter, thus allowing for more sun.

I will likely have a week or so where it's humid here. At that time, I will be sympathizing with all of you in the East!!! But I promise you, I will not change my ways when it comes to wetting my bee suit! I'd rather wear summer garb in the winter snow than a dry, thick, polyester bee suit on a very warm day!!!! The bees get wet from my drenched forehead, and all I can think about is finishing the job! Beekeeping is suppose to be fun and awe-inspiring, not a burden!!!

-Lori

I sewed a couple interior pockets into my bee suit large enough to hold a commercial ice pack.

I didn't think of that...good idea! Now all we need is a fan system in the hat and veil!!!

-

ultrabreeze is the only way to go in toasty Texas, my 9 year old daughter helps and she wears a bathing suit under her ultrabreeze suit. We still limit our "in the heat" time and drink plenty of water.

How about wearing a "Cool Vest" over or under your bee suit. Some like http://www.uline.com/BL_8984/Cooling...FU2htgodmhU3ew you soak in cool water before wearing and others have pockets for ice packs.

If I had more than a few hives or did cutouts, I'd absolutely invest in a Camelback. For some reason, it's hard to drink through a rigid veil....