Thread: Tracheal

Default Tracheal

I know it works very well when varroa comes in contact but anyone test for tracheal mites after sucrocide treatment? The sucrocide could probably give the same use as oxalic when there is no brood. Its fairly cheap though not cheaper than oxalic... could be used on commercial basis to shock em mites.

Default Re: Tracheal

Who has tracheal mites these days? I'm interested to hear about this, I was led to believe they weren't much of a problem anymore.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    but anyone test for tracheal mites after sucrocide treatment?
    Does anyone have Tracheal Mites? Do you test for them before treatment? They haven't hardly been a problem since varroa got firmnly established.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

My understanding is that Tony J [ME bee inspector] was checking for them this year and found several hives infected. I dissected about 50 bees from several hives last winter and found none.

I have a few hives I got with queens from the east coast with K wings and about 50-100 bees in the front crawling around and falling atm. I am thinking of requeening them with a resistant stock and hate to see bees suffer on the ground. Interestingly enough the queens are on their third year w/o varroa treatment and population and honey producing is excellent. The hives do not seem to be growing weaker.