Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

You don't see that every day!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Charlie B 
#1 ·
Ok, this was weird. One of my splits has been limping along (intro'd mated queen) for a month now. I had two brood boxes on, bottom drawn, top about 3 frames full. No pest other than several pincher bugs running around. Good brood pattern, pollen and honey collecting just fine but not growing nearly as fast as my other splits.

It swarmed a couple of days ago to a bush about a foot off the ground about 30 feet away. It was a fist size swarm. I nuc'ed the swarm then went back to the original hive and found no swarm cells at all???

What just happened? :scratch:

#6 ·
I placed the swarm in a nuc. The nuc is doing fine BTW in a different apiary and foraging already so there was no health issues I can see.

Keth, the woman who owns the property told me she saw the swam coming from the hive in question. She's not a beekeepers and I didn't believe her so just to make sure, I went back to check for swarm cells, the population was down and no queen.

I also checked the other two hives and found everything normal and spotted both queens in those. This is crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.