Hybrid View

Default "Borrowing" supercedure cells?

I have two hives. North hive swarmed about 6-7 weeks ago and apparently the replacement queen was not well received. When I checked on the hive yesterday there were about 8-10 supercedure cells on one frame.
    South hive has been doing well all spring and summer, but when I checked on it yesterday, I found no eggs, no larva, and no queen cells. Not sure what happened, but I'm more than a little concerned.
    So here's my question. Can I cut out a couple supercedure cells from the north hive and attach them to a frame in the south hive? That would leave the north hive with their original frame, minus a couple holes where some queen cells were.
    I have no experience with queen rearing. I'm guessing this isn't kosher, but would like to know if its doable.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brion
    Oregon, IL

PS
    I suppose the follow up question is whether its too late into the summer to fool with this and I should just try to find someone who would sell me a mated queen.

Default Re: "Borrowing" supercedure cells?

You certainly can do it. Go over the queenless hive and make sure you destroy any emergency cells if there are any before introducing the cell from the other hive. A capped cell should take no longer than 6 days to hatch and in three weeks, weather permitting for a successful mating flight, you should have a laying queen again.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Thanks Keith!
    Opened the hive today and a couple of the queen cells had hatched open. I took two cells that were still in tact and moved them to the S. hive (no queen cells there). Hope I made the transfer in time.
    I'll open it up in 10 days and see what's cookin'.
    Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Brion
    (also making mistakes one hive at a time...)

Sounds like you got in there just in time. Best of luck!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A