Default No bees going into my new walk away??

I am a first-year beek. I have two top bar hives from packages installed 4/14 and one was booming (24 drawn bars) so I decided to do a walk away split on it a day and a half ago (6/25). I made an 8-bar TBH nuc and put a robber screen on it before doing the split...hoping the screen would cause the nuc bees to re-orient. I put one full bar each of capped (emerging) brood, pollen/honey & capped honey in with a new half drawn comb of eggs...all with bees on them....with I two empty bars next to the front entrance and two at the rear. I brushed (can't shake top bars in this heat) another bar of bees from a bar of brood (some capped and some not) into the nuc and closed it up. The nuc is about 4 ft. away from the parent hive and facing the same direction, but 2 ft lower. I live in the city and do not have many options for its placement. I am feeding the nuc 1:1 syrup.

Unfortunately, I had to leave to go to a meeting and could not observe what happened that evening, but yesterday I spent a fair amount of time observing and there were hardly any bees coming out (less than 50 for sure) and NONE going back in! I am now wondering:
    ---Did I put enough bees in the nuc?
    ---Did ALL the bees go back to the parent while I was away?
    ---Can/should I brush more bees from the parent into the nuc? This would have to be done TODAY because we are expecting 3-4 days of 100+ degree days starting tomorrow and I don't want risk breaking combs off.
    ---Should I just put the bars back in the parent and try again later...after I get more guidance from you experienced beeks? If so, what should I do different on the next attempt?

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help! I don't know what I would do without help/advice from this forum!

Default Re: No bees going into my new walk away??

When building a nuc you will often see very little to no traffic right after you build it. Any foragers you transferred went back to the old hive so the nuc has nothing but nurse bees trying to raise brood. Keep feeding them and check on them in a week. Should be fine.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Default Re: No bees going into my new walk away??

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    When building a nuc you will often see very little to no traffic right after you build it. Any foragers you transferred went back to the old hive so the nuc has nothing but nurse bees trying to raise brood. Keep feeding them and check on them in a week. Should be fine.
    Keth,
    Thanks for the quick response! I try to read everything I can about bees, but it seems like something unexpected always happens...guess that is what keeps it interesting! Patience is NOT my strong suit, but the girls are trying hard to teach me!