Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) feed

I think the bottom line will be availability and cost.

If you don't have the facilities to properly store the HFCS (however it is delivered), then you're pretty much stuck.

If you're planning to expand your operations (nucs, etc.), then it's something you're going to have to work out in your business plan. It's another operation which might require laying out more money than you save by sticking to sugar.

I agree,the way we manage bees is far from natural, right now have 29 hives and I am feeding them until they have a full 10 frame medium of supply for themselves.I use pure can sugar and add a product call bee healthy,it has essential mineral oils and vitamins and makes sure the syrup doesnt ferment.I think if you want to have a reliable apiary,then you have to make sure the workers are happy and fed.I see it just like your own home,if you keep the house stocked with the right htimgs food ect then the family will be productive.

I can't get my bees interested in HFCS mixed with small amount of water and a little essential oils. I've tried baggies and jar feeders. Any recommendations?

When have you tried feeding this to them?
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 07-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

While I will not comment on how High Fructose Corn Syrup for bees. I know as someone who is diabetic I argue with the Corn Sugar people. They claim sugar is sugar,,well that is not so for diabetics and specially to those who are allergic to corn products.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydixon View Post
    I can't get my bees interested in HFCS mixed with small amount of water and a little essential oils. I've tried baggies and jar feeders. Any recommendations?
    not sure what "oils" your adding, but they would be your problem. something there they don't like. My hives will take 1/2 gallon a day this time of year.

When have you tried feeding this to them?
    Currently, and again early spring. They like sugar water 1:1, but as long as I have paid for the HFCS, I want to use it up before going and buying more stuff.

Around me there is pretty much steady nectar throughout much of the summer, and as such they won't take any HFCS or sucrose right now. There is another danger of using HFCS that noone seems to have mentioned, and that is neonicotenoids. These pesticides are systemic to the crops that are treated with them, and small amounts are often found in HFCS. These small amounts are not toxic to bees, but when fed to brood, can result in navigation failure, and possibly CCD. This is one of the many theories concerning the much higher instance of CCD in commercial beeks than in hobbyists.

You can read a study recently released regarding HFCS and CCD Here

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydixon View Post
    Currently, and again early spring. They like sugar water 1:1, but as long as I have paid for the HFCS, I want to use it up before going and buying more stuff.
    Well, if you have any kind of a nectar flow going on you shouldn't expect your bees to take feed.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I don't feed myself or my family with it. I don't feed it to bees. I don't want to eat the honey (or, "whatever it is...") that has touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by activematrix View Post
    Around me there is pretty much steady nectar throughout much of the summer, and as such they won't take any HFCS or sucrose right now. There is another danger of using HFCS that noone seems to have mentioned, and that is neonicotenoids. These pesticides are systemic to the crops that are treated with them, and small amounts are often found in HFCS. These small amounts are not toxic to bees, but when fed to brood, can result in navigation failure, and possibly CCD. This is one of the many theories concerning the much higher instance of CCD in commercial beeks than in hobbyists.

You can read a study recently released regarding HFCS and CCD Here
    The study that you link, at least with my cursory reading of it, is showing that when HFCS is "fortified" with Imadacloprid that the bees are affected. There is no dispute that Imadacloprid kills bees at high levels and affects them at lower levels the dispute is when bees seem to not be affected but actually are affected in some kind of delayed manner and that is where this research is informative. The study might mean more to me if they also fortified other mediums such as honey or sucrose along side the HFCS for a true comparison. You state that "small amounts of neonics are often found in HFCS". Can you support this statement? In addition what data suggests that CCD is higher in Commercial hives than in hobbyists?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Our local Bee group watched the film "Vanishing of the Bee's" Monday evening. I think the Harvard study agrees with the film. We need to consider that HFCS might be the cause of CCD!

Check out http://scientificbeekeeping.com/
    Seems there are some concerns with the "Harvard Study"

Thanks for the article, I read Randy Olivers thoughts, looks like we are back to square one on CCD.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...-harvard-study

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12