Hybrid View

Default NICOT/Mann Lake problem

Had a first today. Wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Put queen in the NICOT/Mann Lake box late last Friday. Let her loose, yesterday, Monday. I have found that it takes at least 48-54 hours for her to have layed in a large majority of the cell cups. Saw eggs and a couple with royal jelly in the bottom.
    Went today today to check and see if more had royal jelly and POOF no eggs left in the cells. The only thing left was the 2-3 that already had royal jelly yesterday.

Anyone ever experience this? Just curious....

Default Re: NICOT/Mann Lake problem

I have had this happen twice this year. After that I went to grafting. I do plan at least one more try with the Nicot this year but expect to add a feeder before inserting the Nicot.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

I was told to place the frame the nicot is on in the same position the queen was found on. My friend does good with his jenter and has tried both. I just installed my nicot to let the bees polish the cell cups up.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

Did you remove the entire plastic cover on the front or just the caps at the bottom?

-Jay

Removed the whole front just like I always have. Have I been doing it incorrectly all this time?????

Ok been useing nicot with excellent results. Put nicot in and leave for 48hrs. Pull it and get every bee out then put your queen in make sure when she is in she is the only bee in the nicot. Then put the frame back in with her in and leave for 48hrs. Then pull the frame and let her out. Make sure that there are no bees in the nicot. Then put the cover back on and leave for another day. Then pull the nicot and put the cells in the cell holders and put in the brood hive to raise the queens. The reason you make sure there are no bees in the nicot is the nurse bees take care of the eggs. If there is worker bees in the nicot they will canablize the eggs. I have learned this the hard way and spent a lot of time doing different experiments. Follow these directions and you will change your opinion of the nicot it is alot easier than grafting. They don't tell you these things in the directions. Good Luck

Oh, the famous riverratbees they speak so well of over on the RA forum. Nice to meet another "terrible person".

I love the NICOT. Have used it for a while and have always just let the queen loose and left the cover off. Just haven't ever seen them do this.
    Any other thoughts/suggestions from you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverratbees View Post
    Make sure that there are no bees in the nicot.
    I have the Jenter system, however, I don't completely understand the above statement. I believe that the cover on the nicot is similar to the Jenter, which is essentially a queen excluder. If so, not sure why it would be of any benefit to make sure there are no bees in it after you release the queen. If they have ill intentions they can certainly get through the excluder and remove eggs.

I believe that the OP's problems are more likely related to lack of nectar flow. I suggest that you feed the breeder hive a couple of days prior and while the system is in place.