Thread: Cheap Feeder

Default Cheap Feeder

I was just filling my boardman feeders and talking about how they stimulate robbing, when my wife had a suggestion: plastic "to go" food containers with window screen mesh draped inside of them. I rubber banded the mesh in place. Of course I had to put them inside an empty box. I put the container right on the top bars.

Anyone ever tried this? I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

--jon

Default Re: Cheap Feeder

Sounds similar to the idea behind a top feeder.

I would think that the big issue with putting it on the top bars and allowing them an entire box without a divider (inner cover) would be the bees wanting to build comb in the empty box.

I am interested in seing picutres of your idea (both in and out of the hive).
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

here's a pic outside the hive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23047574@N00/7450757014/

I'll grab one of in the hive when I am out there later.

I still have to fill them (too) frequently enough that I'd notice any comb building on the inner cover.

Not a bad idea. I like the fatbeeman feeder the best though. Bees are contained, easy to fill, pretty bullet proof. Can throw all my burr comb in the top as well and collect it when I feel like it.

JRG13,

Could you link me to the fatbeeman's feeder? I saw a video where he uses a cut off milk jug inside of a box. Is that the one you are talking about?

I use plastic baggies filled with sugar water placed on top of the inner cover with a shallow super on top with the outer cover on top of it...I slice the baggie in the middle with a razor be careful not to overfill the bagging so it is buldging and it won't spill out when you slice it....easy and cheap and usually lasts a couple of days...

Nanook,

I've never had much luck with the baggies. I always end up making a mess and wasting a ton of syrup.

The trick is not to over fill the baggies, I use gallon size and keep the baggie limp when it lays down that way when I slice it there is no pressure so the syrup stays in place....I like it cause its cheap, doesnt promote robbing very few bees drown and I can carry a bunch of them in a bucket to the yard and distribute them.

They do that in Germany with barley grass in it. The barley prevents the sugar water from fermenting, and the bees don't drown either.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/