Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default PF-120 foundation

Received my order of PF120's (Mann Lake) today. Having used the Dadant plastic 4.9 in trials and it not working so well, I can see why this design works so well for many. Don't like plastic frames, so I'm cutting off all the frames and putting the foundation into my wooden frames. Works just fine.

Used a piece of 3/4" plywood to set the frame on and run through the table saw leaving the bottom bar attached.

Fits nicely into a wooden frame.

Completed frame.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: PH120 foundation

I still have five sheets of the Dadant stuff. Did not even get part of one done correctly on multiple tries. You can have it if you want it.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

No, I have my box of it that I'll keep for my collection of failed foundations. Have some aluminum foundation as well. But to their credit, they were the first to spend time and money on developing a plastic SC foundation.
    Regards, Barry

What do you not like about the plastic frames?
    -Jay

The plastic part of them. I don't like the feel, I don't like the look, and I don't like the flexibility. I'm a wood guy.
    Regards, Barry

I've deployed about 200 pf125s this year - the first time I've really tried plastic frames. I definately prefer wooden frames, but probably not enough to go to that much trouble.

Shame it isn't available in sheets.

I have seen examples of all the deficiencies that people speak of, but about the same proportion of other foundations are misdrawn and I can clean off the plastic and start over! Everyone feel free to ship me all your hated plastic foundation. It must be drawn on a good flow and it needs to be spaced tightly. I run it thru a table saw and draw 11 frames . Throwing in one frame at a time, except in the middle of the brood next, does result in problems most of the time.

For ME plastic foundation is the only way to go - plastic frames, not so much. However, they are quite convenient - and that is worth a lot.

Does anyone sell plastic foundation in a wood frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Received my order of PF120's (Mann Lake) today.
    Wow!
    Very ambitious project. Very nice job. How many frames? Sergey

I ordered 30 frames (mediums), enough for one hive. After I see how this goes, I'll either order a lot more or keep using my wax foundation.
    Regards, Barry

I have been using Mann Lake PF120 for three years and it has worked great. I always install 10 fames in a box. After the bees draw the comb in a honey super, I usually remove one frame and space out the remaining 9 to make the comb deeper and eaiser to remove the caps

dang it Barry, I was jusr thinking about my order for next year (everal hundred pf 120's) and how I like the foundation but hate all the ladder comb due to the top bar being thinner. Now I will probably spend hours and hours cutting them and putting them in wooden frames.

Getting them built out is the trick. You need a good flow on for that. So I put in built comb every other frame so 5 and 5 and they seem to do it quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by oblib View Post
    dang it Barry, I was jusr thinking about my order for next year (everal hundred pf 120's) and how I like the foundation but hate all the ladder comb due to the top bar being thinner. Now I will probably spend hours and hours cutting them and putting them in wooden frames.
    Wondered what has been causing all the burr comb, it's a pain and I don't have that issue with wooden frames.

Can't see spending $1.75 for frames though and still needing another frame

What is ladder comb? I'm not sure I've seen this.

Sol

The ladder comb is bridge comb that the bees attach to the top frame of one to the bottom frame of another to communicate with. I have noticed that my bees do this a lot with the Mann Lake PF series. Barry I really like your idea, and you did a great job. Thanks for sharing. I much prefer wood frames but have tried to work a lot of 4.9 into my yards. I hosted a field workshop last Sunday at one of my beeyards with guest Mike Bush, and we discussed the small cell applications. I might try cutting a few down like you did.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I know D Semple did the math on frame costs, but to me, I already have the wooden frames and I have to put something in them. It might be a tad more expensive than straight foundation, but since I'm not aware of anyone else selling the equivalent in foundation form only, it's a small price to pay.
    Regards, Barry

I see. I am familiar with that, just not by that name. I'll make note of it for future usage.

From talking with Mike, I was led to believe that it was largely a method to get some drone brood into the hive because PF frames don't really allow for it. I'm attempting to provide at least foundationless frame in each box to compensate. This is the first year of that scheme so I'll see how it works out.

Barry

After you rip down the plastic frame how do you attach it to the bottom bar of the wood frame? Not clear by the picture.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast