Default 9 Frame Natural Comb

Hi,

I am considering trying some foundationless frames and letting the bees build their own combs. I have ten frame equipment but would like to run it all 9 frames. Will this work with natural comb?

Thanks

Default Re: 9 Frame Natural Comb

It will work better to draw the comb with all 10 (or 11) frames tight in the box. Once drawn, you can space them wider; to do otherwise invites cross, burr, doubled and drone comb.

>Will this work with natural comb?

In the supers, sure. In the brood nest, no. 9 frames does not work well in a brood nest with any kind of frames in my opinion. I run 11 in a 10 frame box and 9 in an eight frame box.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There are no conditions where I would run 9 frames in a 10 frame box as a brood nest. I purchased some colonies several years ago that had 9 frames for brood. It was a tremendous mess to clean up. IMO, you are better off with 10 or 11 frames.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

If you have larger space on the edges of the brood box the bees will draw the outside comb wider & fill it with honey.
    It will be more difficult to remove the outside frame. with 9 than it would with 10
    Dan

CentralBee; If you plan on using the frames spaced at their design spacing of 1 3/8 inches center to center and the extra space filled with a dummy board, then foundationless would work fine. The bees would draw comb just as though they were in 10 frames in a 10 box.

I am not a fan of foundationless comb, but if I intended to have it drawn, I would do it between frames of brood in an established colony. After I had several frames drawn and brood in it, then I would use it in a single hive body split and draw the remaining comb there. You have a better chance of mostly worker cells being drawn between frames of brood.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic