Hybrid View

Default Should heat wave be a concern?

I ordered a queen last week that is scheduled to make it to the post office tomorrow. I'm planning on splitting my current hive. Unfortunately we are forecasted to have a pretty significant heat wave move through over the weekend. Most local stations are predicting 105+ degrees over the weekend before it cools back off a little. I'm just wondering if this is going to hurt my split... I'm not really worried too much about my established hive. I use top bar hives. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Should heat wave be a concern?

If I were you, I'd be worried less about the split and more about the queen in the mail. Several queen producers that I know of won't ship in conditions like that.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    If I were you, I'd be worried less about the split and more about the queen in the mail. Several queen producers that I know of won't ship in conditions like that.
    She's already been shipped. She's scheduled for delivery to my local Post Office tomorrow.

I use Rossman's Apiaries and I know when they shipped my package bees they were always traveling at night. I had a tracking # to check on the status of delivery. I dont know if that is something out of the ordinary but I thought it was a pretty smart idea.

Traveling at night is a smart idea, however, your queen is traveling in the mail. It may not happen that way. Keep us updated.

Don't be concerned about the split, if you are still worried, put it in the shade.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Traveling at night is a smart idea, however, your queen is traveling in the mail. It may not happen that way. Keep us updated.

Don't be concerned about the split, if you are still worried, put it in the shade.
    Ok, thanks. I tend to worry myself too much about things I'm not experienced with. I'll keep you posted.