Hybrid View

Default Items in a beetle board

Hi,

I am just wondering what is normal to see in a beetle board. I am using vegetable oil. Aside from beetles and a random bee here and there, I have a couple of cockroaches, (some ants, gnats) and what appears to be some pollen and wax flakes. None of that seems out of the ordinary. What I am not sure of is these very small, grey-ish crescent-shaped items. I am thinking they are dead larvae? Thoughts?

Default Re: Items in a beetle board

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie D View Post
    Hi,

I am just wondering what is normal to see in a beetle board. I am using vegetable oil. Aside from beetles and a random bee here and there, I have a couple of cockroaches, (some ants, gnats) and what appears to be some pollen and wax flakes. None of that seems out of the ordinary. What I am not sure of is these very small, grey-ish crescent-shaped items. I am thinking they are dead larvae? Thoughts?
    Could they be small SHB larvae that have kicked it? How small?

Default Re: Items in a beetle board

Smaller than half a pinky nail.

Now that I took a closer look, I suspect that they may be pollen clumps that were not packed tightly and had fallen loose, does that make sense? I did an inspection today of both hives, 2 deep hive bodies each, and everyone seems happy and healthy. Between them, I may have seen 8 or so beetles. The girls seem to be good chasers!