Default dropped off bees at wrong location, i have to move them

I was asked to pollenate a 10 acre farm which consists of a total of 125 acres in which different family's members own a partial.by the farmer who rents the 10 ac farm property. he let me set up my hives at a piece of land that was owned by another family member which he thought would be ok. this weekend the farmer contacted me and said we have to move the bees on to the piece that he rents. the hives been there for a month. I cant just move them ,I would have to bring them out for a week and then bring them back. its a total of 18 hives! how would you handle this?

Default Re: dropped off bees at wrong location, i have to move them

man i'd be pissed i would probably move them out and wouldn't go back. thats a hell of a lot of work now and it aint gona do the bees no good.
    I'm from Jersey. South Jersey that is.

I would tell him how much time and work it will take to move and its not really feasible. Then try and talk to whomevers land they are on and hope for an understanding ear.

The alternative is to just move them to the other guy's place and put some grass or a branch with a lot of leaves on at the hive openings so the Bee's will have to reorient to their new location when they come out for the first time. Lots of BeeKeepers do this without problems.

I had to move one hive this year due to my stupidity and robbing. I moved them 3/4 mile to the back side of the property for three to four weeks then moved them back. Had no problems. The robbing stopped and both hives are booming.

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    I was asked to pollenate a 10 acre farm which consists of a total of 125 acres in which different family's members own a partial.by the farmer who rents the 10 ac farm property. he let me set up my hives at a piece of land that was owned by another family member which he thought would be ok. this weekend the farmer contacted me and said we have to move the bees on to the piece that he rents. the hives been there for a month. I cant just move them ,I would have to bring them out for a week and then bring them back. its a total of 18 hives! how would you handle this?
    You could take 18 others and place them in the right place. And then take away the ones in the wrong place.
    Or you could take away the 18 that are in the wrong place.

What are your bees pollinating that takes that many hives? That's 1.8 hives per acre. Are you getting paid to do this?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

well got some good news today. the hives can stay. thank you for your input.

[sqkcrk] its a organic farm co-op

So each person owns a piece of land which happen to adjoin land owned by others on which organic farmers happen to grow things that would benefit from pollination. Is that it? Were they in a place that one person found inconvenient for what they wanted to do on their plot?

Are you getting paid to put them there? Will they be there permanently? Are you expecting a honey crop? What's around the organic farm for bees to forage on?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Spk.. The 125 ac was owned by a father who died and split the property up in to equal partial for each family member. the land that the bees are on the family is having a problem with. Yes it's going to be a 12 MO thing and it produces Honey.

Personally I think you would be further ahead to just pull your bees out and place them somewhere else. Getting involved or staying involved in personal disputes really suck and you are doing them a favor by having the bees in that location. It sounds like you will get zero financial gain and so far just have headaches from this issue.

How far is the move. Maybe moving a few will settle the squabble. Surviving heirs can get jealous when one gets something the other doesn't or in the case of farming makes something out of what they got.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping