Thread: Bee Soup...

Default Bee Soup...

When I was in our hot tub about a week ago, a fair number of bees were coming over to get a drink of water. This time of year it's pretty dry here--even the stream behind our house is dry. I leave the girls a couple trays of water out near the apiary, but for whatever reason (maybe the chlorine?) they seemed pretty excited about the hot tub. Went to get in the tub this morning, and when I lifted the lid I could see a fair amount of debris on the bottom of the tub. When I put my hand on the main filter strainer, I pulled up a handful and what looked like ants, but on closer inspection I realized were bees. I'm guessing maybe 50 or so bees found their way in, but not back out...

Anyway, I used an aquarium net to fish most of the debris out, but there's still some pieces floating around. I'm assuming that there's little to no risk of getting stung from dead, soggy bee parts, but the wife and kids would no be happy if they got stung....am I right in assuming low to no risk?

Default Re: Bee Soup...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    I'm assuming that there's little to no risk of getting stung from dead, soggy bee parts, but the wife and kids would no be happy if they got stung....am I right in assuming low to no risk?
    Good question. I know from experience dry dead bees can sting you 1-2 days perished. My guess is the water, heat and chlroine quickly breakdown the soft tissues including the stinger and venom sack. Try some on yourself and see if the barbs stick.

first it is the chlorine that attracts them, as chlorine breaks down it becomes salt water, which they seem to like.
    Anyway there is very little chance that one would be stung from be parts in a pool or hot tub.

burns375 Dead bees cannot sting you... you have to sting yourself with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    burns375 Dead bees cannot sting you... you have to sting yourself with them.
    yeah thats what i meant buddy, like walking barefoot and step on a bee. You will be injected with a small amount of venom. However I do not not know the shelf life venom, I feel like it would decomposs realtively quickly, especially in a hot tub.

Dawg...Also keep in mind the muscles which pump venom and sink the stinger are no longer present so the injection is very small if any.