Thread: Can Anyone Help

Default Can Anyone Help

I am a newby, trying to get started. I have a wife with M.S .. so I am on a shoestring ,tight budget. I can build my own boxes and some wooden ware , but I am having trouble finding other stuff , frames , foundation,smoker,tools,bees , books etc. on my budget...
    If you have anything ..please let me know...

Default Re: Can Anyone Help

Hey man go to mannlake.com best deals on frames etc and free shipping

First, you should check out this link: http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/a...tion/index.htm
    from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture listing every beeclub in Kentucky and then join one. Often times clubs go in together at a discount to buy everything you need to get started. Some also have contacts for used gear and libraries so you can check out books at no cost.

Good luck!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Thanks guys. I will check out the info..I want to make it clear before some one gets the wrong idea. I am not looking for a 'hand out' or a 'give me' . I have looked over flea markets, junk dealers ,etc and am having a hard time finding anything,. - thought maybe some one may have stuff they dont use, extra, retiring etc.

Depending upon where you are as far as beekeeping you can check out Kelly's. They're in Kentucky also, but they have run "free shipping" also on Thanksgiving week in the past. My guess is they'll do it again this year. Also if you build a top bar hive then you don't need to buy frames. There are several plans that you can look at online. Perhaps even on this site if you look under the "build it yourself" there may be plans for free.

I dont make my own frames, but I do make about everything else. It isnt too tough with the right tools.

I am very happy with my switch to foundationsless frames--would save you time and money. Not trying to convert you, just a thought.

Have you checked craigslist? We have a local guy who is a bit more reasonable than the distributors on some items, and his boxes have a neat look to them. Or post a wanted ad on CR?
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

ebay has some very competitive prices as well.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by DBeckner View Post
    I am a newby, trying to get started. I have a wife with M.S .. so I am on a shoestring ,tight budget. I can build my own boxes and some wooden ware , but I am having trouble finding other stuff , frames , foundation,smoker,tools,bees , books etc. on my budget...
    If you have anything ..please let me know...
    I don't have much experience, but many do foundationless frames, that would help you out for a start.

Western Bee Supply has medium budget frames for .45 cents each.

http://www.westernbee.com/qs30/produ...ategory=Frames
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I too am in a similar situation with you, my wife is a paraplegic due to M.S. and I am her full-time caregiver.

Most of the time I make my own equipment, even frames (I designed my own foundationless, which I prefer), but sometimes I will trade bees (nucs) and queens for equipment from other beekeepers.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Also look into TBH's. The are less expensive to build, and while they are not for everyone and do have their own set of pros and cons, I think they are worth a look.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I would also check with your local Beekeepers association, they maybe able to help.

Thanks guys for the replies. I have checked out a few of these leads and found some very good prices that I can afford.. I have built several medium boxes and a few other parts as well. I was also given info on a bee association close by that will be meeting the 17th of the month.
    Once again a big THANKS to all and for the help.I applaud this forum and I am glad to be a member.
    I hope one day I will be capable of returning the same help instead of asking questions.

If you have any amish nearby, they usually have a guy in their community that cuts out parts to sell. I have built a good relationship with the one close to us, and I buy everything knocked down very cheap. I sometimes do running for him and use the money he pays me above fuel cost to purchase more stuff. He buys any extra honey I get, or comb honey, and I use that to turn around and buy stuff. I think I get frames for about .65, boxes for $7 and $6.50, and lids knocked down for about $4. And if you ask, they can guide you to find the local bake shop for some tasty treats for cheap too. We buy pies for about $4 (sometimes still hot) and cheese for about $2.10 a pound. Hope you have a communtiy close by!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Western Bee Supply has medium budget frames for .45 cents each.

http://www.westernbee.com/qs30/produ...ategory=Frames
    I got quote from Western on shipping and it was more than the frames.
    Get select quality from Manlake .72 FREE SHIPPING
    Western might actually sell some product if they charged actual shipping

Western spent the first half of the year backlogged on orders so I think they are probably selling enough. If you get a large enough order to go surface freight and pick it up at the dock instead of taking residential delivery, the shipping can be pretty reasonable.