Default Is this normal behavior Its been Around 100 degrees outside With pics

IMG_2004.jpgI took a few pics of my bees today. They have been great bees so far. Is this normal? I have a screened bottom board with the oil pan out. Should I switch to a regular screened bottom board? Also how do I elevate the top cover?

Default Re: Is this normal behavior Its been Around 100 degrees outside With pics

Its normal.

You can ventilate the top cover by putting a stick or a clump of grass underneath the inner cover and then putting the top back on a little bit lopsided. That will probably help the bees keep the hive cool with fewer bees dedicated to cooling the hive. More of them can then spend their time foraging nectar.

Default Re: Is this normal behavior Its been Around 100 degrees outside With pics

Quote Originally Posted by Littlestinger View Post
    Its normal.

You can ventilate the top cover by putting a stick or a clump of grass underneath the inner cover and then putting the top back on a little bit lopsided. That will probably help the bees keep the hive cool with fewer bees dedicated to cooling the hive. More of them can then spend their time foraging nectar.
    I thought Thats what I should do but I thought it went under the top cover. Should it be like a 1/4 inch? With that in place will the bees use it as an entrance. Thanks for your reply

Even though I have SBB, I'm going to raise my top cover with a few Popsicle sticks at each corner when I inspect tomorrow. It's getting crazy hot here in Birmingham.

Thumbs Up Re: Is this normal behavior Its been Around 100 degrees outside With pics

Its been very hot (95-105 F) here for weeks. I used self sticking felt pads (usually used for chair or table legs) on top of my inner covers to make 1/8 inch air space.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

That is totally normal. That's not even a real beard, more like stubble growth. Just wait 'till they are bearded all the way up the front of the bottom 2 boxes! Then you can say you have a real beard. LOL
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir