Default Got a hot hive!!!

I have a question to the experts. This is my first year and started with two packages installed in early May. One of the hives I checked a week ago, I notice that the brood that had emerged had not been replaced and did not notice any eggs. I also found two uncapped queen cells in the middle of one frame and also one on the very bottom. I decided to give them a week alone and see what happens during the next inspection. I checked on them yesterday and they swarmed on me, I could not see through my veil within 5 mins. Smoke was useless. Had to close up the hive and walk away after checking the first two frames on the bottom broodbox. I am guessing queenless. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Got a hot hive!!!

Not an expert by any means. Did you give them enough room and drawn comb ? In 6 yrs of bee keeping I have had 2 good queens from packages . I wish I would of started with nucs and local queens. In my limited experience most package queens are yanked to early from the breeding nucs and shipped. When your new your best friend is good drawn comb. I would by a mated queen and make a split in a nuc, that is just me though

I'm a hobbyist, not an expert...

If the bees were initially gentle I would think that their current disposition is the result of them waiting to have a laying queen. If you can, placing a frame of eggs /young larvae into the hive might improve their morale.

And if needed, they have another chance to raise a queen.

Don't worry about placing the frame of eggs in the lower box...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

You got it!

I'd let 'em go for a while. Sometimes best to seldom stir the pot.

Both hives seem to be doing well and actually left the gloves off for the first time inspecting my first hive. Glad I brought them with me when I opened the second hive. I do have a good frame of eggs and larvae in my first hive and can try your advise. I can't imagine trying to find the queen and replacing her if I experience what I encountered this past weekend. They all seemed to return back to the hive and things look normal from a distance. I do appreciate the response and hope they can supersedure the queen as mother nature intended.

Unless you enjoy working defensive bees you need to learn to requeen a mess like that.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Open queen cells?? They probably have swarmed and you have a virgin in there perhaps?? Your weather has been real hot lately. Perhaps that is the reason they are HOT!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

That sounds like a lot of fun. Talk about baptize by fire for the newbee...and some wonder why new bee keepers never make it through the first year. At least I have a plan B now until I can figure out what plan A is. Thanks it's good information.

Keith, I don't think they swarmed, there are a lot of bees in that hive. Yes it has been hot, but when I inspected the first hive I had removed my gloves for the first time and the bees where very gentle and everything looked great. Eggs, larva, drawn comb, etc...Was really getting my confidence up until I open the second hive and all he!! broke loose. I think I need to look at Michael's suggestion, suit up well and try to find eggs and the queen and separate the hives.

I very much appreciate the feedback from all.

I am sure you will figure it out. Suit up securely so that you can feel confident doing a thorough inspection. Once you have gone through all the frames you will have all the clues you need to solve the mystery. Keep us posted and good luck.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A