Default Protective Clothing Questions, Mann Lake Vented Suit

I have not yet started bee keeping, but intend to soon. I live in Deep South Texas, where today, the heat index is near 110. It will only get hotter over the coming months, and temperature is always a concern. I am looking at ordering the vented suit from Mann Lake, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this suit. Does it protect well? Being in South Texas, I am concerned that my bees will slowly (or maybe quickly) become very aggressive, and want to make sure I am getting a suit that will protect me and keep me cool. Any recommendations on suits that will keep me cool? Also, never having owned bees before, should I go with a full suit, knowing that someday I will be dealing with very aggressive bees, or will blue jeans (and jacket) adequately protect me.

Thanks for the help, so far, perusing the forum has been a wealth of information.

Default Re: Protective Clothing Questions, Mann Lake Vented Suit

I have one, protection wise it's great and seems to be very durable and made very well. I do a lot of removals and it's held up very well so far (1st season). Material is heavy but breaths well if there is any breeze at all. Does get hot if there is no breeze.

I give it a thumbs up, great veil also.

Don

I also have the Mann Lake vented suit. I put it on in front of a fan so I don't get too hot while suiting up. Don is right, if there is any breeze at all it feels very good. If there is no breeze, you will warm up pretty quickly. I have not been stung once this Spring.

Presently I'm using long-sleeve pocket T's - most are white, but a few are fluorescent green and another one fluorescent orange. I also use shorts with the T-shirts, also wear thick wide brimmed hats, or sometimes a wet T-shirt wrapped on like a turban. I'm much more concerned with getting too much sun or overheating (heat stroke/heat exhaustion) than I am with a few bee stings. If the bees appear to be too interested in my face, I keep a veil handy to drop over my head at a moments notice.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have the vented jack about 3 weeks now. It sure gets HOT here in Phoenix. It works really well when there's a breeze like D Semple said. I'am 6' 1" and about 225 the XL ii's a little tight around the waist which is perfect so the bees can't get up under the jacket. Jacket or full suit is your personal choice. I really like it, it's made in India.
    Question for Joseph Clemens: Do you have Queens for sale, I'am here in Phoenix?

Thanks for the replies guys, seeing as the wind never stops blowing in South Texas, it looks like this is the way to go.

mike did u get one? i have a 2xl and i am 260. washed it tonight and noticed a little hole in the Vail screen.

I just got it in the other day, but have not had a chance to use it. I did just get the jacket and not the whole suit. I will say, that it looks to be very well constructed and I doubt I will see any stings using this jacket.

Apparently washing the veils is the end of them. Mine fell apart after washing in a machine. I had tucked it inside coveralls but it still put a hole in it that I covered with packing tape in and out. I am still getting used to the large upper blind spot! Mann Lake is replacing mine but I wish they would let me pay for it. A warning is supposed to get shipped out with them that was absent in mine. I WILL NEVER WASH ONE AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    mike did u get one? i have a 2xl and i am 260. washed it tonight and noticed a little hole in the Vail screen.