Default Swarm + newspaper combine?

This is just a hypothetical question, I've been doing a lot of thinking about swarms lately:

If I got a swarm and wanted to combine it right away with an existing colony to requeen it, could it be newspaper-combined with them (after pinching the original queen obviously)?

bsquad

Default Re: Swarm + newspaper combine?

There's no reason it would not work.

The only down side is that you have no idea of the viability of the swarm queen, or a 100% guarantee that she is alive and well in the swarm. I would want to keep the swarm in a separate box for a week or two and make sure I have a good laying queen before pinching the other one.

You could put the swarm in a box on top of your existing colony with a double screen board between them along with an upper entrance for the swarm. Evaluate in a couple weeks and then decide which queen to pinch. Give them a day and then do your newspaper combine.
    To everything there is a season....

I'm about to do a newspaper combine of a swarm that moved into one of my nuc boxes and a queenless colony. The swarm is on 10 deep frames and will be in the bottom box. They've been in the nuc box for roughly 10 days and the brood pattern looks good. The resultant colony will be located where the nuc has been in my apiary.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

+1 what Mike said. I've pinched swarm queens and used the swarm as a one time population boost, but he's right about the unknown swarm queen taking over.