Default When, when, and how often???

If i order my hive in a month when is the soonest i can get some bees!!?? What should i do with the hive till then? How many times per year can u get bees, collect the honey and deal with swarms? Is there something u have to coat the supers with if u get the natural lookin ones?

Default Re: When, when, and how often???

The soonest is a month.
    Use it as a coffee table.
    Depends on the weather that year and your bank account.
    Depends on how much is blooming, weather, and nature.
    Varnish, linseed oil, parafin, tung oil, beeswax
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Generally bees around here bees are ordered early in the winter, and picked up in April/May/early June. You may have to do some hunting to find bees this time of year.

If you get unfinished hives, they should be painted or somehow protected from the weather.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Find a local bee club and ask these questions. You are in warm climate where you might be able to start hives anytime of year. Try and find a beekeeper who will act as a mentor and locate a local nuc to get you started.

I agree with hilreal. Find out if your local Parish has a Bee keepers club and if so join up immediately and meet as many members as you can. They will be full of information for your local area and some might be willing to give you a few frames of brood and frames of honey to start your own hive from local bees.

Let me be blunt. This sounds like an impulse buy.

Wait until next spring. Over the winter, do your research, buy your equipment, then purchase a local nucleus colony.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Let me be blunt. This sounds like an impulse buy.

Wait until next spring. Over the winter, do your research, buy your equipment, then purchase a local nucleus colony.
    Yeah i appolagize for sounding that way. That is usealy followed by someone jumpin into something they know nothin about and everone suffers. I do things right and im will take very good care of my bees. U see im on a drilling rig. Been out here for 2 weeks and ill be out here for another 4weeks. And i can search through page after page on the net to find my answers or i cant just put them in and u all bring them to me without extenseve readin and the possability of not finding it. So i than u all very much.

Oh and i also have ameetin set up a guy that in a club in my town when i get back home. He had 190 hive a few years ago and sold all but 25. He was telling me about his honey extractor that cuts caps and does 50 frames at a time!! I have not even seen one like that sence i been shoppin these last two weeks.