Hybrid View

Default Feeding Pollen Substitute Patties. AKA Pudding.

6/24/2012
    With the lack of rain this year in southern California and some other geographical zones, how many of you are feeding pollen substitute?
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Re: Feeding Pollen Substitute Patties. AKA Pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    6/24/2012
    how many of you are feeding pollen substitute?
    Regards,
    Ernie
    I think alot Ernie, I've sent two truck loads up north ( Orland-Chico) and a semi is order by Tom in Fresno to the south,The whole state is feeding sub. Going to be a long summer.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Feeding sub too. It is going to be a long summer and even worse a long fall. Blue curl and tarweed looking pretty sparse.

Learned my lesson last year, this year I fed my caught swarms half a pound of megabee each, and will feed again this fall unless I see lots of pollen going in. Right now they are fine, got a nice nectar flow from the soybeans next door and lots of bright yellow pollen (probably squash and cucumbers for the neighbors veggie gardens), but after losing a hive to stress and european foul brood, I'm feeding.

I've got syrup on the hives too, they are not as large as I'd like. We have very variable winters here, with just about no winter at all last year to six weeks of snow cover. I want them fat and happy by late October.

Give the current forecast of now rain any time soon, and since we typically don't get rain at all in late summer unless it's related to a tropical storm wandering up the Mississippi valley, I expect to be feeding until November.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Feeding sub too. It is going to be a long summer and even worse a long fall. Blue curl and tarweed looking pretty sparse.
    And the grasshoppers will get what little there is.

Just got back from N/E colorado, great crop of grass hoppers to go along with the lack of rain. When we go back I will be taking the last of keiths sub that I got from Tom. Looking tough to me, sure hoping for some rain
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

Hey GB... nothing much in the way of honey and what there is, is hardly enough to keep the hives going. We have had feeders on since they got back from Cali... fires are a much bigger concern right now... One is burning between GJ and Debaque and growing...if it moves East or North East we are going to have yards in trouble.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne