Question Grafting into a deep nuc split vs a cell builder colony ?

I am guessing if a want to graft into a deep nuc body, I would basically just need the same amount of bees and stores as doing a walk away split, as I am just wanting 1 queen out of say 8-10 grafts ?

I am asking this as I always read that for a cell builder you want the box crammed full of bees, but that is when you are trying to build 20 plus queen cells, correct ?

Thanks
    Brad

Default Re: Grafting into a deep nuc split vs a cell builder colony ?

Personally, I want my cell builder colony, no matter what size it is, no matter how many cells it's building, to be crammed to overflowing with mostly nurse bees.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Unless you are just wanting to try grafting you are going through a lot of trouble for just one queen. I agree with Mr. Clemens on wanting what ever hive is raising the queens to be full of bees.

If you are wanting to make a nuc you would be better off by moving the queen and a few frames of bees from your full hive and lett the full hive make you a new queen. The full hive will have all the bees and resources to raise you a nice queen.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted some practice grafting, but since here were in the big D , I will probably buy a mated queen. I am all ready tired of feeding and robbing

No matter the size of box the cell builder is, in it need lots of young nurse bees and pollen and honey here is a few pictures of a Mini Nuc Cell builder these are medium boxes I did not feed any syrup or put on any patties. These were primed with fresh royal jelly and there was a very light flow on, and plenty of early morning pollen coming in.

http://www.vlwbeequeens.com/apps/photos/