Default Honey gate questions

I recently ordered a pair of these:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...roductInfo/10/

1) How well do these work with a round bucket? Seems to me there should be some sort of shim with a curved side to fit the side of the bucket.

2) Should there not be some sort of a gasket on the inside of the bucket? It came with a O-ring at the front and one at the back that comes into contact with the outside of the bucket (or should - I have my doubts as this thing is flat and the buckets are rounded).

Any tips on using these things?

-james

Default Re: Honey gate questions

They go well with a 20 liter bucket /Pail. A smaller diameter and they are difficult to install. You have to tighten them pretty well and they will work. Make sure that the hole you drill is as per recommendation. I find that they can leak if the srews are not tightened really well. When installed, fill with water first. Easier to clean up spilled water then honey!

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    <snip>Make sure that the hole you drill is as per recommendation. <snip>
    And herein is part of my problem....the things came with NO instructions at all. I should have asked in the original post: How big of a hole should I drill? Should I measure the screw minus the threads or include the threads?

Thanks for the reply.

-james

James - I use a 48mm ( 17/8") hole saw - try first with a piece of cardboard or plywood before permanently damaging the bucket!

DIXIE I use a electrical 1-1/2 knock out for metal elect boxes --works great -makes a clean cut -you have drill a pilot hole for the knock out and as low as you can get it on the bottom