Hybrid View

Default making your own frames

hello,

I've been building my own boxes and want to start building frames I'm just trying to figure out what I should be using for lumber size and how to best utilize the boards.
    I cant get any pine boards 1 3/8 thick so do i just use 3/4 and crosscut the 1 3/8 out of that then rip them in half?

thanks
    Mike

Default Re: making your own frames

Here give this a look. Hope it helps.

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...t-type-frames/

You can plane an eighth off of 2x stock and then rip it, or, rip it then trim the strips before cutting them to length. I have found that unless you just enjoy the work, or you get your lumber free, its more cost effective to just buy frames and put them together yourself.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.

yea actually as far as the frames are concerned, mann lake sells them for .79 each in quantity. there's no way i could build them for that especially if you factor in the time. I will stick with just making boxes. i just hate needing something and having to wait to receive it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2327[/ATTACH
    I made a hundred frames this year from scrap 2 x material. It worked great. I simplified the plans posted in this thread. It takes some time but saved me some money. if i make the top bars from onex material and the rest from scraps it will cost me 15 cents per frame. Plus time. Which i have extra time in the winter.x
    Attached Images Attached Images

If your time is worth zero and you have free wood and you enjoy making frames, then ... here is how I do it.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MichaelJ...eeHive4302010#
    If you are still thinking about making your own frames, you should really get a life.

mgalimbe I make my own boxes too and Have Tons of off cuts at work so i've made alot of parts for them but for the time it takes...Spending the $$ and assembling only seems to be way more life productive. If you have spare time its not super horrible...just alot of repetitive cuts that will make you go dizzy if you are making a large amount. Also i dont like the solid sides all the way down...find the bees glue that together to much...but again one more step ya gotta take if you want to make them look exactly like a ordered frame...