Thread: new mediums

Big Grin new mediums

well we got a cnc controlled dovetailer a while back to replace our old machine and i got some time to make some boxes for the bees out of scrap this weekend so thought i'd share

Default Re: new mediums

Nice

zier64... Nice boxes. If you would like to put the commercial looking D handles on the two sides that you don't have cleats on, watch my video on "How to make hand holds on Bee Boxes using a Skil saw". Fast, Easy, SAFE. I will send you the plans to build the jig. Take about 30 minutes to build the jig, Cost about 35 cents to build the jig..... You can cut the hand hold in 35 - 45 seconds. No charge for the plans to build the jig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWRjpJ5f0w

If you have questions, glad to help.

cchoganjr

Nice boxes!

I cut a 30 degree slope on the handles, top and bottom. I leave a bit of a ledge on the bottom by not cutting all the way to the edge of the board on the table saw. Most of the time I remember to check when I install them to put the sharp side up, too!

This does two things -- you get a nice recessed smooth finger grip slot on the bottom, and the sloped top flush with the box sheds water and will seal perfectly with some glue. No water standing there, less chance of rot.

Peter

Very awesome! I cant wait to get mine.

I also prefer the exterior handles, a lot easier on the fingers.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Thanks guys ! cchoganjr I would take the plans for sure my email is Marco164@shaw.ca. I Like the option of putting them in if i were to make some boxes for people that want them or some of mine to retrofit if i wanted to but Ya sounds weird but i find the recessed ones a bit harder to grip? Maybe cuz i use a almost 7/8's thick block for handles so more finger space... Oneupsuperdog are you getting a dovetail machine also? I Have to say after making them like this i wont be making boxes any other way now i dont think...With setup time(and learning how to use the bugger) and figuring out what lengths i had to cut everything to make my boxes right it was about 2 hours for the 12 boxes.(2 not in photo) And next time should be at least 1/2 the time.

I also made a cloak board why you see the Queen excluder in the picture...

Nice machine. Are you in the sign business or is that thing dedicated for bee woodenware? Big investment!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Naw Keth we Make Furniture and Kitchens Its just been super rainy so this weekend was a great time to work while it poured outside. The Sign material i got from Home depot for like 3 bucks...Just cuz i couldn't find any decent aluminum sheets..

very nice work

G