Default Follow Up To My Post Last Month On My Bee's Storing Almost All Brood And Honey In Top

A follow up to my post last month on my bee's storage choices.

First year bee keeper here. I pulled off my honey super today to prepare for wintering and did a hive inspection on my two deep boxes. I find it strange the way my bee's are storing honey and brood. I have two deep boxes, each with 8 frames. The bottom box is almost empty. Literally 2-4% filled with honey and probably another 2-4% filled with brood. The top deep is another story however. It's probably 55% filled with honey, 40% filled with brood and 5% empty. So odd to me the top deep can look so good and the bottom look so bad. My hive itself looks excellent! A ton of healthy looking bee's and capped brood.

Because the bottom has so much room for storage I put my 2:1 sugar ratio on today to hopefully have them fill it for winter. I'm in Sonoma County, CA and our winters aren't that bad so I'm thinking the honey storage I have already will be enough, but a little extra sugar water shouldn't hurt!

Default Re: Follow Up To My Post Last Month On My Bee's Storing Almost All Brood And Honey In

My bees fill the top box(es) first, then push the brood area down to the bottom box, backfilling behind them. That way there is honey overhead. They tend to then work their way up through their stores in winter so it makes sense to have it on top, rather than below. I have taller stacks and they leave the bottom boxes entirely during the winter. Heat from the cluster rises so it's always warmer above.

My northern NY climate is much more extreme than yours. But I think the same principles apply.

Enj.

Default Re: Follow Up To My Post Last Month On My Bee's Storing Almost All Brood And Honey In

Good to know!