Default Historical Sugar Prices

Look at the May and June sugar prices for different years. From the futures market to the grocery store takes a few weeks, as it does with gasoline. You can draw your own conclusions.

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/his...ontinuous.html

Default Re: Historical Sugar Prices

Looks like 2006 was a breaking point of sorts.

I really see about zero correlation from year to year. I'm not sure I can draw any conclusion from just those charts.

~Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

I disagree. There is an obvious and steep upward trend in 2006 and again in 2009. If you put the data in order you can see it:

0e3ad32da3fee03496bba7853aca701803ba0966f4.jpg

The spike in 2006 was due in large part to Hurricane Katrina. In 2007 it appears to have returned to "normal" inflationary increases, but then in 2009 the prices began to spike somewhat abnormally. These spikes are likely not restricted to sugar. You'd probably see similar increases in rice, etc. I am not an economist or even someone who pays attention to the news enough to know anything about that.

Restricting the data set to just May and June of each year, as OP suggested, does little to change this picture:

0e3ad32da3fa7905ab6fcad3f6910fdaf280ef7bb0.jpg

I'm not disagreeing that prices have risen. I thought the OP was trying to make a point about what was happening in May-June every year, not the longer term linear trend. Something along the lines of "Prices always rise in June".

As you state many commodities have risen over the same period, some might say to a weakening dollar, various QE's etc over the last 3-4 years.

~Matt

Now that you say that, I actually don't know what point OP is trying to make.

Well, we did come up with our own conclusions...so we got that going for us. Maybe we just were part of some perception study.

~Matt