Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Working naked!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by Oneupsuperdog View Post
    The refrence is to being all animals including insects i assume can smell fear, anger, and other emotions though the chems we give off. So the question was to be if u r caml and relaxed is the bees ok with u taken there home a part to check them out and take thier honey or will they always meet u with a fight.
    What has been your experience? Can you do all of that and remain calm and relaxed? Or, once the stinging starts, will you be jumping around swatting at evry flying object fly or bee?

I don't know that bees are great human emotion detectors, but they do react to sudden jerky movement, rough handling and other stimulii. Wear what protective clothing makes you comfortable, less anxious, around bees and then, once you are comfortable, take off the gloves and so on down to normal clothing. Being aware of how the bees are acting and being prepared to put the veil or gloves back on.

Let the bees tell you what to wear. The only way you will be able to know what the bees are telling you is by experience. Some lessons have to be learned over and over again.

If I ram a pipe down into the ground, can I get oil? You work in the oil rigs, right?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Let the bees tell you what to wear. The only way you will be able to know what the bees are telling you is by experience. Some lessons have to be learned over and over again.
    Agree. So far they tell me that as long as I am gentle they won't sting me. If that changes I may have to use my veil and buy a smoker.

What has been your experience? Can you do all of that and remain calm and relaxed? Or, once the stinging starts, will you be jumping around swatting at evry flying object fly or bee?
    Another good point and part of the reason why I don't wear gear. My nervous system tends to ignore pain initially. I can set it aside for at least a few minutes. Sometimes its scary. I was once shot in the leg and didn't register it as pain for hours, not even when I tried to take a step and my leg bent in the wrong place and in the wrong direction. The next day and for a few weeks afterwords I was a total mess, crying and rocking back and forth etc but for those first couple hours I was a machine. I'm much the same way with bees, I can ignore the stings when I'm working the bees but a few hours later I'm complaining about the itch.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Throttle back there oneup.
    Wow - Really, Mark? This coming from YOU?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Yup, just imagine.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Anyway I totally agree with Mark, the bees will tell you if you listen, and there WILL come a time when they just don't want to be bothered....keep the veil close.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Can some one tell me what the little things at the bottom of a post r used for? I know the edit pin, then there is the reply, what r the other 2 for?

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Anyway I totally agree with Mark, the bees will tell you if you listen, and there WILL come a time when they just don't want to be bothered....keep the veil close.
    Happened today, to me. Second time into a hive, small adjustments both times, radically different reactions on the bees part, I ran...

Lol, Willy. Been there, done that!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

This is my third year and I am thinking of ditching the gloves. I did get stung once through my glove when removing honey last year. Little sucker hit me right in the seem.

Some things you could not pay me enough to do, this would be right at the top of my list.
    Ed

I usually suit up. My bees vary greatly though. I have one yard that I'm pretty sure I could do in swim trunks and then again I have one where they'll try and tear my face off, often getting up inside my veil. I don't mind working with pretty "hot" bees though. So I usually just suit up. It's there, might as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneupsuperdog View Post
    Is there anyobdy out there that works gives without any protection? I assume that i will get a lot of " that aint very smart" coments to this but im great with all animals and i have worked with aggressive pitbulls and it take a no fear, calm, cool and collective attitude. I want to give it a try.
    I always tell my hired hand protective equipment is optional. I even told him he can go out there in the nude and work my bees. I will be LMAO video taping it getting it ready for YOUTUBE!

I keep my gloves handy if needed, but the handiest place for my veil is on my head. I can't imagine dropping a frame or just opening a hive that's having a bad day, and then asking them to "hold on a minute while I put my veil on"

Hives are different. I've got one that will tear your head off. I requeened it a couple weeks ago.
    I always wear a veil. I haven't been stung in the face yet, and don't want to be....

Man, people think bees are puppies or something... they are bees!
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I understand that presently, when I'm raising queens and frequently needing to observe eggs from new queens and larvae of grafting age, I find that with my older eyes, I am unable to do those tasks while wearing a veil. Good thing, I had, long ago, discontinued using one, unless it was absolutely necessary.

So, those few times when the bees make it necessary to wear a veil, I don a hat and drop the veil over my head (it hanging loosely around my shoulders), I am then, unable to actually locate eggs or grafting age larvae.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 07-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

There is an old saying that sums up this thread; If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough! Enough said.
    No one famous.

Or, you could use Honda's saying; "Stupid Hurts."
    No one famous.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234