Default Bees avoiding part of hive

I have two deeps full of foundation however 3 frames in both deeps will not be drawn out by the bees. I left the next super off as to encourage them to build to that side and they started forming swarm cells so I put the hey super on, how can I get them to fill those frames it's on the north side of the hive, I tried manipulating them by putting drawn frames where the empty ones are and it worlds they build the frames in another place but then avoid the 3 frames on that side any help is appreciated, thanks!

Ok here's more details it's wax wired foundation, there are 2 deeps both with 3 frames indrawn on the same side, when I tried to let them build out they made swarm cells which is why I kept adding boxes currently 2 deeps and 1 medium I put on today. They are Italian 10 frame equipment solid bottom board, also at the entrance when you see the bees they all stay on the side that they are living in they don't bother with the others.moderate honey flow, strong pop. In first box medium amount of bees in the second deep. Lots of brood only two frames of capped honey and honey ring around all brood except in the center all brood. Lots of eggs capped brood and uncapped throughout the hive, let me know if you need more details thank you!
    Last edited by Jd's beez; 06-23-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Default Re: Bees avoiding part of hive

foudationless or plastic or wax?

Details, please.

Are you using 10-frame? 8-frame? Are they all deeps? Mediums? SBB? Solid bottom board? Top entrance? What bees? Italian? Carniolan? Caucasian? Buckfast? Is there a strong honey flow? No flow? How is the population, strong, weak? Lots of brood? Little brood? Is the hive in sun/shade? What type of weather are you having?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Again - details are needed. Based on what you said the 2nd deep went on before it should have. Typically you'd wait until bees had drawn and were using (at least) 8 frames in the first box before adding another one. If I have a hive that is really dragging it heels drawing frames, I'll crowd them a bit and wait until all the frames in the box are drawn and being used before adding a second box. I use plastic foundation in wooden frames with my own cappings wax painted on to them. (And painting the wax on the frames was the best bee job I've ever given to my just finished Freshman year at college daughter!)

Do the bees need the space of the second box at this point?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Do you just paint the wax on level (flat) and leave it or are you meant to try and get the cell starter molds somewhat outlined? I have a whole bunch of palstic that I have removed and lots of wax but have no idea on how to proceed to reuse it all

We melt the wax in an old crock pot and paint it on with a 5" trim roller. The wax goes on much heavier than is you were comparing it to commercially applied wax over plastic foundation. We don't do a terribly neat job. Essentially we get a lot of extra wax on the frames and figure the bees will know what to do with it. Some cells are full of wax - most aren't.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Hi JD,
    Its not a hard problem to fix, move some finished frames from the top deep down to the bottom deep. You want the bottom box complete.
    Then wait until they have 80% of the frames in the upper deep complete before adding the honey super.
    Dan