Thread: bee itch

Default bee itch

This has been going on for a couple of days. Several bees will be out on the landing board and it looks like they have a terrible itch. They take their hind legs and start scratching at their abdomen over their back and wings. To the point that they actually fall over. They are stumbling around like they can't control themselves. I thought at first they were trying to knock mites off, but I don't see any. Do you think they've gotten into some poison? I've not read anywhere that this is a symptom of anything. Please help. I would vidio it if I knew how to upload it.

Default Re: bee itch

Mine do the same thing, although usually not to the point they fall over.

I always thought is was pollen collection grooming behavior, but I could be wrong.

Peter

Never seen healthy bees fall over. Wash boarding is common during a dearth, but again, they don't fall over while doing it. Sounds very odd. Could you post a video clip?

Just looked at them again and they are all over each other like two dogs checking each other out. Seem to be spreading. Where do I go to figure out how to post a video.

You can post it to ytube and then provide a link here.

"they are all over each other like two dogs checking each other out"

Are you sure that they not simply engaged in heavy defensive action combined with wash boarding? I suspect you're in a dearth now, but get the video up and we can better help.