Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Need help Figuring Out Foundation to Frame Fit

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  odfrank 
#1 ·
Friday I received a order of medium frames and Monday I should get a order of medium wired foundation. I took the frames out of the shipping box a few minutes ago and found them to be the groove top and groove bottom, which is not what I ordered. The foundation that is comming is the type with the wire hooks at the top and the catalogs state this will not fit the groove top/groove bottom frames. OUCH! I am supposed to transfer some bees from NUCS on Tuesday and because of time I am in a bind. Can the wire hooks on the medium foundation be clipped off and the foundation still be mounted in the medium groove top/groove bottom frames or am I SOL on this project? :( Thanks for any help...

#3 ·
Sounds like the frames you got are for plastic foundation. If it were me, I would postpone installation and get either the right frames or plastic foundation. If you clip off the hooks, there would be no way to avoid the wax sagging. Contact the supply house and ask them to hustle the stuff out. A few days wont make any real difference. You will be stuck with hacked frames for years.

#4 ·
If you clip off the hooks, there would be no way to avoid the wax sagging.
Incorrectomundo

Bee supply houses sell foundation with no hooks and have for decades, for grooved top bar frames. I have used it for decades. They do not sell 4.9 foundation with no hooks, so I just clip them off. The combs do not sag.

#6 ·
frame do you melt bees wax and drip it into the top bar groove to seal the foundation into the groove or do you just leave it alone?
I embed it into horizontal wires, but do not attach it into the grooves. I never liked removable cleats on topbars. Too much work to install and to much work when renovating. Maybe useful if you did not use horizontal wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.