Default 1:1 syrup question

Can anybody tell me how long 1:1 will last if its been kept in the fridge?

Default Re: 1:1 syrup question

Hi Jamneff,
    Squeeze the juice of 1/2 up to a whole lemon into a gallon of 1 to 1. The syrup will last longer. The bees really like the lemon syrup. You can freeze the syrup if you don't plan to use it right away. With a few additions, the 1 to 1 with lemon makes a nice punch; I mean if you don't need it for the bees. My syrup starts to spoil after a week in the fridge. linn
    P.S. Maybe it is longer than a week. I guess fermentation happens when the syrup is stored in white buckets-pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. linn
    Last edited by linn; 06-22-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammer

I dont know because I have never kept any in the fridge, but mine doesnt even start to spoil when its on the hive for a week. I would bet that syrup would last months in the fridge.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

As some on who deliberatly tries to make sugar water ferment I would agree with the "months" theory. 1:1 Is not an inviting enviroment for yeast. It has no protein and is overly concentrated. Keep it cold and it should last for a long long time.

Personally I'v never had any syrup go bad on me. I make it six gallons at a time and its all used up within a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    As some on who deliberatly tries to make sugar water ferment ... it should last for a long long time.
    Agree!
    If it is fermented - it is not a 1:1 syrup. 1:1 syrup is very difficult to ferment if possible at all. I forgot a bottle of syrup on the counter and few month later it was as perfect as new. I normally boil water, let it cool down to 60oC and than dissolve the sugar. When still warm, I usually add a few branches of the mint to it (keep mint in syrup). I also heard (as suggested above) that lemon is good too. Sergey

My mentor had a very simple answer to this question when I asked it.

He said "Taste it. If it tastes bad to you, don't give it to your bees."

So far, my syrup has yet to taste like anything other than sugar water. I have a spray bottle that I filled back in April that has been kept in my beekeeping bucket of tools and it still tastes good with no special handling or storage.

I haven't had any fermenting issues, but I have had mold growing, like a really fine hair in the syrup. Then again, I left the jug in the back of my car for a week in these high temps were having.

Hi Everybody,
    Maybe my recipe is not good because I have had fermentation. I boil 2 and 1/2 quarts of water on the stove. Next I take the water off the stove and stir in 5lbs of sugar. I got this recipe from Beekeeping for Dummies. Like I mentioned above, I add squeezed lemon juice. I always scent my water sources with applemint starting early in the season. Mint in the syrup would be nice for the bees. What changes would you make to the above recipe? linn
    P.S. Well, after reading Dale's post I realize what I see in the syrup is black mold. Just as Dale says it is fine black mold "hair." So, I think fermentation is out and black mold is in. linn
    Last edited by linn; 06-24-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: I read Dale's post