Default Question about kicking out the Drones...

Here the pollen flow is still on, lots of busy bees and I noticed my 'combined swarms hive' was kicking out a big old drone.

It is a funny hive, big girls from the first swarm that came from a fellow beekeeper's hive and then combined with a feral hive of small bees who brought with them their queen (probably). I had also put in a frame of brood in before the feral swarm so not sure who is laying. So bees are both big and little at this point but finally producing! I was finally able to add a super last weekend but did not pull out the brood frames; could just see plenty of capped brood when peering in...

Last night I watched one of the little feral girls take on a big blackish drone at the entrance and fling is Arse outside! I watched for a while to make sure I was not seeing robbing. Either he came from inside the hive or do they ever come from other hives?

I 'thought' the drones got kicked out in the fall?

Oh wise, experienced beekeepers out there.... is this normal?

Default Re: Question about kicking out the Drones...

Your observation is certainly a sign of something. What exactky is a mystery to me. Some folks have suggested in other Threads that the drones being ejected at this time may be sterile and somehow the worker bees know it. Don't ask me how.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I take it the drone wasn't dead?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

no, the drone flew up and away after she kicked him off the landing board.... that is why I'm thinking he was not from that hive...

I may tip the lid this weekend and see what they are doing in there...

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    Last night I watched one of the little feral girls take on a big blackish drone at the entrance and fling is Arse outside! I watched for a while to make sure I was not seeing robbing. Either he came from inside the hive or do they ever come from other hives?

I 'thought' the drones got kicked out in the fall?

Oh wise, experienced beekeepers out there.... is this normal?
    Drones from anywhere will be allowed into any hive.
    Made a split last week off a hive that had some queen cells in it. Took a frame of brood with the queen cells and another 2 frames of brood and a frame of honey and transferred them to a 10 frame deep. Guaranteed there was no drone bood in the frames I took and there were only nurse bees and foragers on the brood. The next day I saw drones going in and out with the foragers. I actually wonder how they find hives. Have to believe they follow foraging bees to see where they go.

They are? Wow, learn something new every day! That makes sense because he got tossed out and flew away.... I wonderf if they ever mate with the virgin queen IN the hive? So they are like homeless little puppy dogs begging food off different hives.... it is a tough world out there to bee a bee drone....
    Last edited by CaBees; 06-21-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Mine kicked out a few yesterday too, but they couldn't quite fly and seemed pretty young. When I set them up on the entrance, the other bees immediately reacted to them and didn't allow them in. I saw other drones coming and going freely though... The lizard next to the hive got a treat when I tossed the drone over by his stomping grounds and he came out and ate it quick. The drones seemed in good condition other than not being able to take off.

They are? Wow, learn something new every day! That makes sense because he got tossed out and flew away.... I wonderf if they ever mate with the virgin queen IN the hive? So they are like homeless little puppy dogs begging food off different hives.... it is a tough world out there to bee a bee drone....
    Think about it. Drones don't rob, so they are no threat to a hive not their own.

I wonderf if they ever mate with the virgin queen IN the hive?
    Literature says no. But they could be checking for possibilities. I don't think anyone knows how DCA's are established.
    Last edited by Acebird; 06-22-2012 at 06:50 AM.
    Brian Cardinal

DOA's Acebird? I think you meant DCAs, drone congregation arears, not dead on arrival's.

Yup, thanks Mark.
    Brian Cardinal

Welcome. I almost thought you were making a comment on what happens to drones who have "success" when they attend DCAs, they become DOA.

A colony will eject drones and queens will stop laying drones when hot weather stops plants from producing pollen.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Welcome. I almost thought you were making a comment on what happens to drones who have "success" when they attend DCAs, they become DOA.

It is more like DOD, dead on departure.
    Brian Cardinal

I had a hive that swarmed. One way I was alerted was the unusually large number of drones coming into the hive. I have seen this with my mating Nucs. Virgin queen. The Drones follow them back to hive or the V Q is emitting pheromones. (I believe they do) A week or so later, I noticed this same hive tossing a large number of drones. Guess she was done with her suiters

I saw a ton of drones going into my split and wondered what was up thinking a laying worker. Nope, hive didn't swarm. I think they do scope out virgins in the making.
    Brian Cardinal