Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My first swarmtrap

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  julysun 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there!
I am trying to catch a swarm to start beekeeping, but i have almost no budget. So this is my first documented swarmtrap construction:

First of course, and it is not pictured here, i got me a hive, some wooden frames and some beeswax foundations.
As i am using the German standard frames (Deutsch Normalmass DNM), i looked for a container, that could hold frames (a colony on frames is easier to transfer into the hive).
I found this awesome fitting cardbord box:

So i started cutting two strips of wood, so that they could be used to mount the frames onto:

I marked inside the box where they would go best, glued and clamped them into place:

Like this, they are holding the frames:

I cut out a second floor out of cardboard, and glued it to reinforce the bottom:

Then i cut a foldable entrance hole into the front, that is big enough for a queen to enter and small enough to be easily defended:

I sprinkled a little lemon grass oil into it, and filled it half with frames, which have only starter strips of foundation in them. Should give the bees an impression of a big hollow:

The box measures 40cm x 24cm x 29cm = 27840 cubic centimeters, or 27,8 liters, except in the US, where it measures 15.7" x 9.4" x 11.4" = 7.4 gallons.
A decent size:

Finally, i improvised a roof from a piece of space blanket, to protect the cardboard from heavy rain:

The sticker above the entrance has my contact information on it.

I am not too concerned with bee space, because it is supposed to be only a temporary housing, until the swarm can be moved into its future home.

A wooden box would probably be better... And where and how should i position the swarmtrap? Please let me know what you think!

See less See more
#2 ·
I fashioned up a very similar budget swarm box out of a bankers box (cardboard) with a lid and single drawn frame and a few drops of LG oil. I poked a single hole on the side for entrance. I've tried it for 2 years and this year it worked. Came home from a weekend away to a nice sized swarm. Very easy to transfer the frames to a nuc like yours will be.

#4 ·
I didn't snap any pictures but I did video myself swapping it over into the nuc. box just because. It took four minutes and it was cool because I just put another single frame in drawn out and reset it back up. I'm pretty sure it snagged one of my own hives that split. That's cool. I have tried setting up nucs in different spots nearby with drawn and foundation and I got a real small swarm a month ago. Tough to beat a free colony ready to go. Lemongrass oil seems to help too. Let me know if you have luck with it. Brad

#5 ·
Budget idea: just use your usual brood chambers for swarm traps and you will not have to make or buy anything extra,nor do any extra work. They will also be big enough for all but the most gigantic of swarms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.