Threaded View

Post My first swarmtrap

Hey there!
    I am trying to catch a swarm to start beekeeping, but i have almost no budget. So this is my first documented swarmtrap construction:

First of course, and it is not pictured here, i got me a hive, some wooden frames and some beeswax foundations.
    As i am using the German standard frames (Deutsch Normalmass DNM), i looked for a container, that could hold frames (a colony on frames is easier to transfer into the hive).
    I found this awesome fitting cardbord box:

So i started cutting two strips of wood, so that they could be used to mount the frames onto:

I marked inside the box where they would go best, glued and clamped them into place:

Like this, they are holding the frames:

I cut out a second floor out of cardboard, and glued it to reinforce the bottom:

Then i cut a foldable entrance hole into the front, that is big enough for a queen to enter and small enough to be easily defended:

I sprinkled a little lemon grass oil into it, and filled it half with frames, which have only starter strips of foundation in them. Should give the bees an impression of a big hollow:

The box measures 40cm x 24cm x 29cm = 27840 cubic centimeters, or 27,8 liters, except in the US, where it measures 15.7" x 9.4" x 11.4" = 7.4 gallons.
    A decent size:

Finally, i improvised a roof from a piece of space blanket, to protect the cardboard from heavy rain:

The sticker above the entrance has my contact information on it.

I am not too concerned with bee space, because it is supposed to be only a temporary housing, until the swarm can be moved into its future home.

A wooden box would probably be better... And where and how should i position the swarmtrap? Please let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Rummelsdorf; 06-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.