Default Artist interested in a project with bees. Is the concept feasible?

I'm guessing that this idea would need significant modification if it is to be feasible, but the idea is below. Where will my obstacles be? Is there anything that would make it impossible? Thoughts on how to make it happen?

The idea: An standalone archway / tube that people can walk through, maybe 50' long. The tube is made from a hard and clear material such that it is see-through, and there is an inner and outer wall to the tube with a space between them. That space is filled with bees, allowing people walking through the tube and feel like they are surrounded by bee-life and observe a huge mass of bees at work.

Okay, tell me that it's possible!

Thank you for your input.

Default Re: Artist interested in a project with bees. Is the concept feasible?

I dunno, sounds difficult. Bees do not like light. You would need multiple entrances spaced throughout the tube and multiple colonies of bees, and the bees would need to go forage etc... and if it's that big, that's a lot of bees flying around wherever you're going to put this thing.

Oh, well. I thought that it would be difficult and it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I dunno, sounds difficult. Bees do not like light. You would need multiple entrances spaced throughout the tube and multiple colonies of bees, and the bees would need to go forage etc... and if it's that big, that's a lot of bees flying around wherever you're going to put this thing.

First it will take WAY more than a single colony and each colony would have to be separate from the next. It may also be hard to get bees to stay and build in such a way since nothing about it mimics a real colony. Third, how would you manipulate it if problems arose?
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by BeeArtist View Post
    The tube is made from a hard and clear material such that it is see-through, and there is an inner and outer wall to the tube with a space between them.
    Do a search for observation hives. They obviously have a lot of glass. Now consider modifying your glass tube such that it is a series of observation hives grouped together. Each hive would need its own bee exit to the outside, and one side of each observation hive would need to "openable", for maintenance, just like a single observation hive. The hinged side opening could be on the side opposite the viewing tunnel.

How much money do you have available for this project? This really is not that hard, if you can afford it.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Bees - sting!
    I am sure, they will find a way into your tube and THAN, I wish to be outside to watch the show in my beesuit and veil! Seriously, in your setup, they would be very upset and I personally, do not want to face angry bees even behind the plastic wall (see above). I think, some sort of computer special effect in 3D with bees would be easier to accomplish. Good luck, Sergey