Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bee Stinger Removal Instructions For Schools

Quote Originally Posted by ProPacific View Post
    The client requested the removal of the unoccupied honeycomb because she was having reoccuring problems of bees in the same area.
    Is it common to go through the roof structure rather than come from underneath? Probably not an issue in your area but I wouldn't want someone tearing up my roof. That is asking for leaks.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Is it common to go through the roof structure rather than come from underneath? Probably not an issue in your area but I wouldn't want someone tearing up my roof. That is asking for leaks.
    It's really up to the homeowner to decide if they want to access the honeycomb from the inside and cut into the drywall or go through the roof. Sometimes its just more logical to go through the roof. But we do have many people with the mentality of "no way you're cutting into my roof".

All work is guaranteed and repairs are sealed and the original materials are used. Haven't had any customers complain about leaks.

You don't have ice jams and 4 ft of snow to contend with. Almost any Yo Yo can patch up drywall. I know it can be more convenient to do the cut out from above but I wouldn't want it done to my house.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Is it common to go through the roof structure rather than come from underneath?
    I, and the rest of the UU Bee Team, will be going thru the roof to get to some bees tomorrow. I sure hope that's where they are.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by ProPacific View Post
    The client requested the removal of the unoccupied honeycomb because she was having reoccuring problems of bees in the same area. We do offer live removal services and transport the colonies to an apiary near an orange grove.
    That makes sense. But don't you have videos which better illustrate what you do? Deal w/ live honeybee colonies.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

This thread reminds me that I need to get back on my wheel improvement project.

You're not finished w/ that yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    But don't you have videos which better illustrate what you do? Deal w/ live honeybee colonies.
    We have just completed a series of live removal videos. I will sort through them soon and see what I can find. Thanks!

Figured I would dig up this old thread.

In the past two days, I have been stung twice. Once on my face (I have a thick beard) and once on the back of my head. I usually wear a veil, but both of these instances were just walking near the hive, and I've never had the slightest trouble in the past. Neither really hurt, but did give a headache. It took probably 10 minutes to get the stinger out of my face, then today I had a 10 minute drive to have my mom remove the stinger from the back of my head. So here's the question: what if one of these times a bee gets into my veil and stings my face or top or back of my head again, and I can't find the stinger to get it out. Will it just come out on its own eventually? Should I bother a neighbor to help me out? Should I just wash my hair and get on with life?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ddb123 View Post
    Will it just come out on its own eventually?
    It will either come out or dissolve. The concern would be infection as with any piercing. A common antiseptic should keep you safe.
    Brian Cardinal

Thanks!

I had a stinger break off in my hand last summer. Could very well be that many have I just happened to be able to see this one. it never caused a problem. As Ace said I woudl be most concerned about an infection just as you might get form a splinter. Otherwise it took care of itself and thee was no pain involved like a splinter woudl cause. Of course not removing the stinger is going to cause the most sever sting due to the venom sac being able to deliver it's full dose.

I have had my bees become more aggressive even approaching the hive after I did something that ticked them off. they remain that wait for several days. If I give them two or three days they forget who I am again and all is well. I am thinking that bees have some sort of memory, most likely of the odor of certain things that they took as a high level threat.

I recently did a cut out and after moving the hive home I could not go near that hive without a bees suit for three days. A dozen bees would come directly at me anytime I got within 10 feet of that hive. I can't really blame them. They had just gotten their home completely destroyed. They have since settled down and I can open the top of the hive and not get a single bee to take flight. So hopefully whatever has your bees riled up they will get over in the next couple of days. I woudl suggest you investigate to see if they are being raided by anything such as a skunk at night. a raccoon. or anything else pestering them. That is if you have no other reason you know of for them to be all worked up.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12