Hybrid View

Default Bee Stinger Removal Instructions For Schools

Hey all,

I have developed an instructional graphic that provides the proper steps to removing a bee stinger. I am going to share this with the local school districts in my area and city websites.

Here is a link to image: http://propacificbeeremoval.com/properly-remove-a-bee-sting/index.php

Please provide any feedback that you have. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.S. If you would like to link or feature the graphic on your site, Click the link and Go to the bottom of the page for the embed code.

sting-img.jpg

Default Re: Bee Stinger Removal Instructions For Schools

Wow! That is awesome looking! I can't really attest to the accuracy of the process, I haven't been stung that much and just kind of ignore them =X Looks very very good though!

Looks great. I can attest that leaving the stinger in definitely makes it worse!

Scrapimg the stinger is what seems.to be recommended most often.....but I seem to have less.irritatation if I just pinch the stinger and pull it straight out. In part, the stinger comes.out faster as there is no need to open a wallet and take out a credit card, but I don't thin that is all of it. I think there is something that works better when the sting comes.straight out. Just my own experience.

Deknow

I don't know. Seems to be a nice well built advertisement for your business, but not necassarily what I would consider accurate or necassary. But, I am a beekeeper, not someone who goes most of their life not getting stung. Just the opposite.

So, looking at things from the point of view of someone getting stung or the pov of a Teacher or School Nurse whose Student has been stung, I can see some use for these recommendations, even though I find them Folk Loreish.

I think a better recommendation to a reaction to a Honeybee sting would be to recommend scraping the stinger off with ones thumb nail. It's quicker. One wants to minimize the venom getting into the skin. By the time one gets a plastic card from their wallet all of the venom is below the skin surface. Besides, how many youngsters have a credit card handy?

A cold pack probably does help the person stung to feel better, emotionally. I don't see why washing is necassary. But it does make one think they are doing something. Which may be of value.

The list of things to apply to the stung area is totally unnecassary and messy in many cases. Unless the Honey is taken internally.

I was disappointed to see you removing dead/unoccupied comb. You do do removals of live colonies, don't you? Or do you kill them before removal?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

In addition to swiping out the stinger, I always tell people to take a double dose of liquid antihistamine within 30 minutes. You can also apply it directly to the bite site, but it is better to get the type designed to be used on the skin since it gets better absorbed. If they don't have it use toothpaste on the skin, which includes baking soda. Just adding these two steps will reduce the reaction a lot.
    Cleaning the sting site is useless, because it is not the bacteria on the skin, but what has been injected that causes trouble. You wont get the injected stuff with washing.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I was disappointed to see you removing dead/unoccupied comb. You do do removals of live colonies, don't you? Or do you kill them before removal?
    The client requested the removal of the unoccupied honeycomb because she was having reoccuring problems of bees in the same area. We do offer live removal services and transport the colonies to an apiary near an orange grove.