Re: Bee Stinger Removal Instructions For Schools
I don't know. Seems to be a nice well built advertisement for your business, but not necassarily what I would consider accurate or necassary. But, I am a beekeeper, not someone who goes most of their life not getting stung. Just the opposite.
So, looking at things from the point of view of someone getting stung or the pov of a Teacher or School Nurse whose Student has been stung, I can see some use for these recommendations, even though I find them Folk Loreish.
I think a better recommendation to a reaction to a Honeybee sting would be to recommend scraping the stinger off with ones thumb nail. It's quicker. One wants to minimize the venom getting into the skin. By the time one gets a plastic card from their wallet all of the venom is below the skin surface. Besides, how many youngsters have a credit card handy?
A cold pack probably does help the person stung to feel better, emotionally. I don't see why washing is necassary. But it does make one think they are doing something. Which may be of value.
The list of things to apply to the stung area is totally unnecassary and messy in many cases. Unless the Honey is taken internally.
I was disappointed to see you removing dead/unoccupied comb. You do do removals of live colonies, don't you? Or do you kill them before removal?
Mark Berninghausen "To float, upheld, as salt water would hold you, once you dared." Denise Levertov, poet