Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upper midwest beeks???

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Ron, you're teasing us. Did your extracting set-up work as planned?
    Still have a few bugs to workout and they aren't bees. Another 4000 supers and we should have it down. Hired a guy to run the honey house this year so I can put more time out in the bee yards, in hope of upping my avg. this year.

Here in northern Illinois things have pretty well dried out as of the other day, But yesterday part of our area had a nice rain which might generate some new plant growth so the bees may have a short spurt of a flow. Not gaining much of anything in the hives the past week with temperatures about 100+. Some folks are removing their supers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Since the last report of 6-22-2012, both the scale hive at home, and 25 miles west at the shop, had been gaining 3lbs a day, untill today. The home scale hive did very little in the middle of the day, and only gained 1 1/2 lbs. It has been over 100 Deg F. the last two days, so I guess we should be happy they went up. Everything is dried up like late August. I have NO idea what they are finding at home in a suburb. At the shop, the alfalfa is blooming, so that is understandable.

Crazy Roland

We hit the wall at home, no gain yesterday.

Crazy Roland

My apologies, I'm not commercial. Everything is dry here in SE Missouri, and I moved my trailer of 20 hives to irrigated soybeans July 1. My stronger hives have loaded up 2 and 3 shallow supers, others trailing, but it's coming along.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Christian and I spoke in person with StevenG for several hours about many aspects of beekeeping. He may not fit the numerical classification for commercial, but his mindset definitely is.

Had a little "slop" late in the day, but I am afraid as Wolfie would say "The Offen is aus"
    meaning the kitchen is closed, oven is off.

Crazy Roland

Northern MN has had great seasonal temps between 75 to 85 degrees i put on 300 new boxes full of new frames and all have been drawn out. have another 100 new boxes full of new frames and cant wait to see them get filled. We are having an abundance of blooms, buckwheat, canola, clover, alfalfa, and wild flowers. Cant ask for a better season.

After flat lining since my last post, the scale hive at the shop went up 4 lbs today. What!!! Could it be soybeans that are producing nectar, they just started blooming?

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    After flat lining since my last post, the scale hive at the shop went up 4 lbs today. What!!! Could it be soybeans that are producing nectar, they just started blooming?

Crazy Roland
    Alfalfa?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Roland, Have been watching your posts last few weeks. Glad to hear of the possible turn around. Jim mentioned alfalfa; I think that's our only hope at this point. I think it was 1988 when Wisconsin had its last real drought. The two drought years that I've had bees they didn't make honey until the middle of July and then packed away a nice crops during the following 3-4 weeks. I remember a friend talking about going out to feed bees on the 4th of July the drought year prior to '88 and by the middle of July adding supers. Western Wisconsin has had two little shots of rain that you didn't get. We've pulled honey off 9 yards so far; probably averaging about 70-80 pounds. Alot of that was made after those two rains of a few weeks ago. Bees aren't making any progress now. Population could and should be better than it is.
    Bill Russell
    Strum, Wi.; Eustis Fl.

Most of the alfalfa has been cut the second time and has been in bloom for weeks. It is too short to cut, but has no nectar anymore. My guess is soybeans, because they are just starting to bloom. I have no memory of ever having a substantial soybean flow, but anything is possible this year.

As a reference, we are on glacial till, round rocks and a little sand, over bedrock Limestone(Niagara escarpment).

Crazy ROland

the soybean flow is on in my area of N. IL. Went to a wedding and was told because of the drought that they are going to start to spray for spider mits on the beans. Lorsban is what they are recommending for them. I was told that they are starting to spray this week. It is the start of the bloom and i am very nervous about this. I have about 200 hives next to beans in 5 different yards.

I have Carni's, Italians, and Russians and they are all trying to rob each other. Kind of funny...an Italian bee sure does stand out in a black Carni hive!!

On another note, I just ordered a dozen chics, getting back into the egg business!

Our basswood just ended after a solid 16 day flow. One day with light showers, another day of heavy downpour, so we did not lose much to rain.

Claire's Mom, how much per hive did that yield? I am curious. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12