Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upper midwest beeks???

Been hearing all kinds of stories bout peeps still feeding. Not much honey being made in the dakotas & minn, speak up
    AKA BEEMAN800

Default Re: Upper midwest beeks???

I haven't fed for quite some time now. Both my hives are doing exceptionally well. Lots of honey- they're starting on the medium supers. Flowers are plentiful and have been for a while.

It's spotty here. Some yards have a fair amount of surplus already and other yards are light.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

I have never had to feed in the spring, dandelion bloom was strong this year. The main flow seems to have started, and bees are working like they should. FYI, I am located 30 miles east of Minneapolis.

Both of my hives look good also, I thought this was the commercial thread?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Very light. Started off great in may and tapered off significantly a few weeks ago.

I am on the prairie in Montana and after fruit bloom and dandelions ended, the bees brought in nothing for quite a while. A friend of mine had some starve before he figured out how light bees were. I have been feeding most but I see the alfalfa finally starting to break here so I think I made it.

We have had a few rare hives produce two deeps already. Agreed, spotty results. We will fire up the extracting room tomorrow, very early, in the 60's(I was a kid in the extracting room) July 4th was the norm.

Crazy Roland

We quit feeding most of a month ago, bees got off to a real nice start with a lot of hives making a couple of mediums but hot windy conditions and a lack of rainfall has really slowed things down.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Not much going on here. A couple hives have a super of honey, but all the empties still sit empty. Unless we get some rain, I don't think there will be much of anything this year. Most of mine are coming off of splits and they're struggling to work the third medium in the brood nest.
    Regards, Barry

Its ben dry and windy this spring in eastern montana and all of my hives have been feed 5 gallons of syrup since they hit the ground in early May. The last 1100 gallons went out 6/21. But the bees are very strong with good stores awaiting the honey flow. So even though its more then i've ever feed in the spring i can't complain.

The frost and cold weather really hurt us this spring. We also need some rain, our main honey flow is just starting. We will be lucky to get half of what we had last year.

I finished feeding packages last week. The overwintered colonies have had honey supers on for a few weeks. They are just now starting to use them. I've got a few yards on alfalfa and am really happy that the land owners have held off on their first cutting.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

This is one of those white clover years in central Ky. Without hot and dry conditionswe could have had a flow thru July. Really getting dry and burning up the clover. Bees still have a shake and storing a little but has slowed down alot, I expect this weekends 95 plus temp to end it. looks like a 125 lb average on overwintered with some at 200. Splits make after almonds 1 to 3 med supers. A good crop but this was the yea to have a bumper crop if we ever get "normal" weather. Hoping to have extracting room finished and bigger system up and running first week of July and then we will see. Bees may eat alot of it as forecast is for 95 to 100 and no rain for next two weeks. Was hoping to stay in KY until dec 1...looks like that may change!

im located in se Minnesota. My winter colonies needed no feed. Been bringing in fairly steady flow of honey. Starter/nucs that I got early may I had to feed till 2weeks ago. Their strength to build up took longer than usually. They are bringing the gold now. If we get rain every 7 to 10days it will keep up.

We are 2 1/2 hours NW of the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

Our overwintered colonies get no feed.

The packages we installed around the first of May were provided with a gallon of 1:1 syrup. Most of them hardly touched it- which is unusual. Some took as long as 2 weeks to finish the gallon. I never gave them any more.

Right now we are having the best basswood flow we have ever had. No rain, flowers are full of nectar, and the bees are working from 6am to 9:30pm. All of the packages have filled or almost filled the third medium/second deep and some have started filling supers.

Overwintered colonies were split 3 ways with purchased queens and we are still going to get some surplus from most of them.

Today was Day 9 of the basswood flow. Very pleased with how things are progressing.

The main flow is starting and some yards have 3-4 supers filled and other just coming through the excluder. If we get an inch. of rain in the next month we should do a 150 lb avg. Extracted 179 supers yesterday to try new extracting setup. It looks like the honey is coming in 2-3 weeks early this year. Just hope the flow last longer this year.

Ron, you're teasing us. Did your extracting set-up work as planned?

Since the last report of 6-22-2012, both the scale hive at home, and 25 miles west at the shop, had been gaining 3lbs a day, untill today. The home scale hive did very little in the middle of the day, and only gained 1 1/2 lbs. It has been over 100 Deg F. the last two days, so I guess we should be happy they went up. Everything is dried up like late August. I have NO idea what they are finding at home in a suburb. At the shop, the alfalfa is blooming, so that is understandable.

Crazy Roland

Here in west central Montana, the bees are bringing in a little honey but most of the crp alfalfa my bees are on has brown scars where the buds were a week ago. The only plants blooming are in low spots or on patches of better soil. East Montana is burned up and brown. If we don't get rain, it is going to get pretty grim here. I was still feeding a couple yards two weeks ago. But on the brght side, I am still waiting for May queens from a Mississippi address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast