Default How to transfer a frame of brood?

I have one hive that is very strong... 2 brood boxes + a medium. Then I have a weak hive that appears to have lost its queen as there is very sporadic brood? I am getting a new queen for them on Thursday and would also like to give them a frame of brood from the strong hive. How do you remove the bees from the frame of brood after removing it from the brood box? Shake the bees off and brush off the remainder back into the brood box??

Default Re: How to transfer a frame of brood?

if you want to see if the hive is queenless you can take a frame of eggs -no bees and put it in the hive. go back in 3 days and if there are queen cells then your hive is queenless if no queen cells, then your hive probably swarmed and you have a virgin queen.

either way the best way to remove bees is to get a good grip on the frame (using the palm of your hands on the thickest part right below the top bar and your thumb on the top bar) and giving a good swift jerk to remove the bees then the few that are left you can just brush off.

Make sure the queen isn't on it and transfer it with bees attached.

I am not sure that I am good enough to find the queen so the fewer bees the better for this beginner. It would be a bad day if I removed the queen from my strong hive. If I put a new caged queen in the hive, I should be able to tell by the way the bees react to it. What would happen if there were two queens....would they kill the weak one? If so, that would solve my problem.

Most people don't want to risk losing a queen they just paid for, but that's up to you! If there's a queen in there already, whether it's a virgin or not, I bet your bought queen bites the dust. I would make doubly sure there wasn't a queen before I introduced the new one. As far as transferring brood frames, I just give it a couple good shakes after I find the queen and move it.

I will leave the queen in her cage and see how the bees react. It appears that the queen is bad or has died.....I don't think they swarmed, because there is very little capped brood. The little that is there, is randomly spread around on the frames. It is not consistantly placed on the frames. Looks to me to be signs of a failing/failed queen......but again all of this is new to me.