Default Question on which queen to move for a split

Ok I know this is a topic that comes up over and over and I'm sure I've read the answer to this once before somewhere but I would like to ask anyway....

How should I proceed with a split?

Basically I've got a TBH that is just going crazy right now. I hived them from a 3# package on 05/17/12 and just over 1 month later I'm really impressed with what I've seen. I've got at least 13 bars of comb drawn out and the population is just increasing every single day. I had to take the entrance reducer off this week b/c it was getting crowded. What really impressed me was that last Saturday I put two empty bars in the center of the brood nest seperated by 2 combs each. Both of those bars are already drawn out to almost the same size as the rest of the combs... very impressive to me at least.

So I'm probably going to order another queen from Rossman's in the next week or two. I'm thinking I could probably move about 4 or 5 combs from the original hive over to my new one, but I'm a little confused on which queen to put where.... Should I move original queen over to the new hive with the comb, or should I leave her at original site and put the new queen in the new hive?

Thanks for any advice

Default Re: Question on which queen to move for a split

remember there a chance you bees might not take the new queen , you could alway make them make there own queen by taking a comb with new eggs on it, their lot of info on how to do that on you tube or this forum

Quote Originally Posted by RAFAEL/PR View Post
    remember there a chance you bees might not take the new queen , you could alway make them make there own queen by taking a comb with new eggs on it, their lot of info on how to do that on you tube or this forum
    I initially considered that method but I thought with it already being the end of June a queen that is ready to lay would be much better in the long run. Rather than waiting several weeks just for a queen that is ready to start laying I will already have new brood getting ready to emerge with a purchased queen. At least that's what I'm thinking... I've been wrong about things before.

Quote Originally Posted by JYawn View Post
    I initially considered that method but I thought with it already being the end of June a queen that is ready to lay would be much better in the long run. Rather than waiting several weeks just for a queen that is ready to start laying I will already have new brood getting ready to emerge with a purchased queen. At least that's what I'm thinking... I've been wrong about things before.
    Think about it , dont rush it because you want more bees!!,lol , but you know if they make there own Queen you don't have to worry about her being kill and wasting $25 for a Queen! , the fatbeeman is a member of this forum here a video of him and watch the others
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0pGrN_n6A and this guy too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ2-0p5-pVM&feature=plcp