Default Foundationless and cutting off connecting comb?

I just read (elsewhere) foundationless frames need to be pulled and burr, combs that are too thick need to be cut until the bees 'get it right"? Does anyone do this?

I have foundationless using popsicle sticks and the brood nests seem to be drawn perfectly. The honey supers were another story; very thick and I 'assumed' it was because I left too much space.

Does anyone actually go in while the frames are being built out and cut them if too thick? (seems like a lot of work and disturbance to the beess...). thanks

Default Re: Foundationless and cutting off connecting comb?

I have some frames both foundationless and with foundation that are thick on one side and encroaching on the space for the frame beside them.

I asked my mentor what to do about it and he suggested that I simply wait until harvest time when uncapping the frames will even them all out. Then, next year, they should do a better job of evening things out.

It does make inspections a little tricky when some of the frames fit together somewhat like puzzle pieces, but that just means I need to be a little more careful and make sure they get placed back where they came from.

What do you mean by too thick? The bees wil leave another space between the frames to be able to get to the cells. If they have built burr comb between the comb drawn in the frames that will be an issue for you when you come to remove the frames. If its just burr comb connecting the tops of the frames it's not really an issue. As you are foundationless presumably you are going to crush and strain? so I guess you don't really care how tidy it is so long as you can get the frames out without tearing them up too much.
    For frames with foundation once you have drawn comb from the first year it is typical to then evenly space 9 frames in a 10 frame super so that they will draw the comb out "thicker". But still they will leave bee space between the combs so that they can fill them.

Yucca Patrol described it well, encroaches into the next frames space. In my circumstance they followed the popsicle stick down on one side and did not build with the stick in the middle.

So if I do foundationless I can't use an extractor? Is that true?

thank you.

Typically foundationless unless you've managed to wire it somehow is to fragile for an extractor and will just slump out.

I've only extracted foundationless frames with my mentor, but the basket the frames went into really looked like it should support the comb if you are careful and spin it slower for a longer time.

Michael Bush's site says they extract just fine as long as they are attached on all four sides and are not too new and soft. I'll find out for sure when I try it this fall, but I am only doing a few frames of foundationless mostly for bottling chunk honey for Christmas presents.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

I will probably give it a try as I have popsicle sticks (coffee stirrers) glued in top to bottom along the frame. I'll be able to borrow an extractor from our club when the time comes. I was hoping to be able to do this and let them keep the combs for next year. Live and learn....

Yup Yucca, that is what I was going by too. BTW, I went to our local farmers market Tuesday and there was a lady selling chunks of honey and comb, 2" x 4" for $7.00 a pop! I was floored! All of her stuff is priced really high, even for my neck of the woods which is one of the most expensive to live in the US.

I tried to sell her my raw bees wax but she wasn't biting.

Probably make a difference whether you were using a radial ot tangential extractor. Would believe you might have more success with a radial extractor with the frames inserted top bars out.

Thanks Peter, I will keep that in mind when (if) the time comes. It went from 91 degrees last Sat to 55 yesterday...wacky weather!

Wish it would do that here, 3rd day running heat inde is 100+, get a break tomorrow, a balmy 87.

We have the coastal fog that comes in and cools us off (I am 35 miles north of S.F.) and no humidity. I grew up in PA & FLA and do not miss it! However, it is very expensive to live here.

>Does anyone do this?

It's the honey that ends up thick. When I extract it, they get cut down. Otherwise I never do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF