Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mounting an Extractor

When we extracted, we learned that balancing the frames inside the extractor makes the process smoother. We learned that by not having it balanced and watching the extractor trying to jump around. Luckily, we only did that at low speeds, so that we could slow it down.

One thing I noticed is that the tops of the sides of plastic frames is just a tad wider than wooden frames. This requires wiggling, pushing, and muttering under my breath to get them in the bottom frame holders. I have ordered a few medium wooden frames to see if they fit any better. I may end up grinding/sanding the sides of the plastic frames a little to make them fit better in the extractor.

Anyways, I had an old pallet laying around in the yard and we mounted the extractor to that to give it a more stable base (plus now I could move it on a forklift if I had one!). We put 2X4s underneath the top pallet wood to strengthen the setup. Here's what it looks like:

This shows the 2x4 underneath for strengthening and support:

Room for a bucket on the pallet under the outlet valve:

Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Mounting an Extractor

The plastic frames go in easier if you give the top, & bottom guides a little bend with a crescent wrench or pipe nipple. It doesn't take much.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    The plastic frames go in easier if you give the top, & bottom guides a little bend with a crescent wrench or pipe nipple. It doesn't take much.
    Thanks! I'll try to remember that.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Nice inexpensive fix to the wobble problem. I'm surprised Ollie Frank hasn't thought of that.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Nice inexpensive fix to the wobble problem.
    I've taught my extractor how to "Rumba!"

So I still haven't purchased my new 20 frame extractor yet, but the thought of taking a crescent wrench or tool to bend the frame guides so my plastic frames will fit into the slot is not the most exciting thought i've had this week. You guys are serious? I use PF100 and 120's and a lot of Mann Lake wood frames.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

With the Maxant 2-6-9 frame machine its a very easy thing to do. I don't know about the 20 frame extractor.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Nice inexpensive fix to the wobble problem. I'm surprised Ollie Frank hasn't thought of that.
    I already way back in 1979 graduated to a 20 frame extractor and capping spinner bolted down to a sloped concrete floor with floor drain in a dedicated honey extracting room. Wives #2, 4 and 6 would not have permitted extracting in the garage or kitchen. Wives #1, 3, and 5 left me because I spent more time keeping bees and in my dedicated extracting room than with them. The garage is now reserved and spotless for the parking of wife #7's Mercedes convertible coup and her Hummer HT3 bee truck.

Riskybizz,

I don't know what Dan is talking about. My Mann Lake plastic PF's fit in fine with my Maxant 3100p without bending anything. The 20 frame I don't know about. Ask Jake with Maxant, he's on this forum all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I already way back in 1979 graduated to a 20 frame extractor and capping spinner bolted down to a sloped concrete floor with floor drain in a dedicated honey extracting room. Wives #2, 4 and 6 would not have permitted extracting in the garage or kitchen. Wives #1, 3, and 5 left me because I spent more time keeping bees and in my dedicated extracting room than with them. The garage is now reserved and spotless for the parking of wife #7's Mercedes convertible coup and her Hummer HT3 bee truck.
    I like your current wife, she must have allot of patience. I want to introduce my son to your daughter. Maybe I'll get use of that 20 Frame extractor out of the relationship. Don't go cheap on the wedding.

One thing I noticed is that the tops of the sides of plastic frames is just a tad wider than wooden frames.
    Any one ever notice how the slots in plastic frames are a great place for SHB to hang out too??? I have gotten rid of most of the ones I had and pretty much only run wood now...

Cool way to mount an extractor by the way... I think that is exactly what I am going to do with my 12 frame.
    Last edited by Ozarks Honey Company; 06-23-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Another way to deal with the same problem. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ractor+walking
    Skip to post 10 for an explanation and post 19 for a picture. Slow Modem's pallet idea is a good one - it is cheaper than buying plywood and castors.

OK, changed mind... I am going with the castor mount method... The design it so simple, yet makes perfect sense! When I think about it I just want to smack myself in the head and go, duhh, why didn't I think of that.

Thanks much for the follow up post about it Adrian.

Here is my mount. Thanks to a lot of people posting their ideas and pics I was able to put this together with little difficulty or generations of my own learning. I posted the pics on a thread on how to keep your extractor from walking and decided to post here as well. I used a bungee cord, not shown in pics, from front leg around bucket to other leg to make sure bucket stayed put. Thing works flawlessly.

front.jpg

front with pail.jpg

Nice!! I like that!!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-27-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: UNQuote

Has anyone mounted casters to the Maxant 20 framer (that I just got (yeah!!)) directly? If so, what's your experience during extraction?

Thanks!
    Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I think it will run all over you're house if you mount it on castors. We store ours on a moving dolly, but its mounted to 1 1/8" plywood with a non skid rubber bottom glued to it.
    Dan

Will it run "all over" even with casters that lock?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    I think it will run all over you're house if you mount it on castors.
    Extractors mounted on castors do not go anywhere, unless your floor is very badly out of level. It will make a very small (1/2") circle. Kinda like it is doing the hula.

I wouldn't have mine any other way.

Larry, I mounted mine on casters a on a triangele base and it stays put, I can take a pic on my cell phone but don't know to post it. Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Has anyone mounted casters to the Maxant 20 framer (that I just got (yeah!!)) directly? If so, what's your experience during extraction?

Thanks!
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast