Thread: Queen excluder

Default Queen excluder

Do I have to use a queen excluder when putting queen cells in a nuc or hive already having an egg laying queen?
    The queen doesn’t kill supersedure or swarm cells?
    So why do I need an excluder when putting my own queen cells in and what is really going to happen and why?

Default Re: Queen excluder

yes, right, because, queen will go around and eliminate queens when they do emerge, that is the norm for queens only one queen/hive unless you have an excluder on separate from where your queen is, hope this helps

I'm just guessing here, but it seems reasonable... If you add queen cells to a hive, then the queen might kill it becasue she didn't "order" them. The supersedure cells and swarm cells are started when the queen is about to die, or she is getting ready to leave. She knows it's the best for the hive. If you add a cell when she thinks she is working just fine, she might kill it.
    IMHO
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

On a related note, do you have to use double excluders? Will the queens do battle across one?

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do. I have heard of some commercial beekeepers requeening by adding queen cells high up in the honey supers. The bees normally treat these cells as supercedure cells. But, if you just add a queen cell in the brood nest of a queen right hive the queen will kill your cell most of the time. If you want to requeen a hive with a queen cell you will be better off by killing or moving the hives queen atleast a few hours before you add your queen cell.

Thank you all for your answers regarding unprotected queen cells.
    Johng understood me perfectly by adding queen cells high up in honey supers. If queen always tries to kill them or if they are safe somewhere without excluder.
    By the way does anything attract the queen like a bait or something?