Thread: SHB Explosion

Default SHB Explosion

We last week harvested our honey as we are nearing the end of our flow cycle and yesterday i went back to replace the extracted frames. When i opened the hives there has been an explosion of beetles. The question is do i save the hive by treating the beetles to the detrimate of receiving any additional honey for this year or chance losing both the hives and the honey. I killed and counted as many as 30 or 40 beetles in each hive and they were running around on the tops of some frames.

jm

Default Re: SHB Explosion

Between frame beetle traps. Filled with oil or bait, they won't contaminate the honey.

Where in Chelsea do you live? I moved to Huntsville last summer from Chelsea. Lived down hwy 43. Had one of my bee yards down 280 at Old Baker Farm.

Hi Riverhawk
    I tried the beetle blaster with mineral oil when I realized there was a problem but it was only moderately effective. I bought the Checkmite but have been reluctant to use it because it is shouldn’t be used during the flow. I did use the tray trap with mineral oil on another hive and appears to be effective. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to see just how effective it is.
    You may know George he lives down on Hwy 43 near Sterrett and is now President of the Shelby County Association. I live on Hwy 51 near where the 84 Lumber was. A couple of my hives are there and the others are in Coosa County near Rockford.
    Huntsville is a nice area we have toured some of the areas up there like the mountain top where the scientist lived. We also like Florence, Athens and Decatur. The snow would be nice but I think it would be like the beech about an hour and a half and I am done with that. 

Edit mispelled Decatur

I do know George. I was a part of the group that started the Shelby County Association, along with Mark Master(?), a teacher there in the area. We first met last spring but then I got asked to move to Huntsville.
    In regards to SHBs. I have found that the bait inside the reusable traps is the best. I have mixed Crisco, boric acid and honey and placed in the bottom of the AJ's Beetle Blasters with GREAT success. The Beetle Jail is a close match. Beetle Barns work well but the tend to propolis up the small entrances pretty quick. I have also used the tubed roach bait that you can get at Lowes/Home Depot with great success.
    I sell nucs, so SHBs are a big threat. I've had a couple of nucs this summer really to the point of threatened. 3 days of a beetle trap with the tube bait and the nuc has been pretty much cleared of SHBs. If I can, I'll take a pic of the pile of dead ones today when I empty out a trap.
    Last edited by theriverhawk; 06-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Cool, Thank You for the information. I was really dreading not being able to pull any more honey from these hives this year as I want to experiment with the golden rod honey on some people who are or may be allergic to Golden Rod. Also these 2 hives are some of our best producers.
    Thank You
    jm

"Also these 2 hives are some of our best producers."

this is often the case - use two traps and the SHB can be kept under control.

i have had good success with the beetle blasters and vegatable oil. here's a recipe for the bait:

2 tablespoons over ripe banana meat
    1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    2 pinches baker's yeast

mix and let set overnite at room temp
    keep sealed and refrigerated
    put a small amount in trap with oil

i have one trap in each box/super
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks Everyone, I'll be taking care of this problem today and will report back as i slay these little buggers.

Another consideration is nematodes from Southeastern Insectaries. I have been treating my ground with them for two years and with eight hives have seen maybe ten beetles all year- YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwat View Post
    Another consideration is nematodes from Southeastern Insectaries. I have been treating my ground with them for two years and with eight hives have seen maybe ten beetles all year- YMMV.
    Now you are talking!! There is research into treatment with Nematodes here in Australia - can you tell us more? Thanks.

I looked into the nematode H. Indica and it looks like it will help us not only with the SHB but also the Japanese Beetles as well. Thanks for the info.