Hybrid View

Default Where can I find cages?

I will soon have an Italian or Buckfast queen, and as my population doubles or quadruples each spring, I wont have the room to house the ever-growing colony. So, I'd like to sell package bees to my community. I figured to go to a beekeepers association and announcing myself would advertise my possession. But, I would need to be able to package the bees in an efficient, sufficient way to allow ventilation, transportation, and separation from the queen, who also needs the same things. Any alternatives to the screen boxes, (and if not, where can I find those?) or places to keep the growing colony temporarily without needing extra equipment?

Default Re: Where can I find cages?

I would personally go with nucs over packages but of course it would take extra equipment!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Yep.. Nucs would be better for small scale breeders...

No offence, but it sounds like you are counting your chickens before they hatch. If, down the road, you do end up with extra bees to sell, as others have said nucs would be the best bet. For the time being, concern yourself with getting your future hive established and through its first year.

Quote Originally Posted by drmanhadan View Post
    I will soon have an Italian or Buckfast queen, and as my population doubles or quadruples each spring, I wont have the room to house the ever-growing colony. So, I'd like to sell package bees to my community. I figured to go to a beekeepers association and announcing myself would advertise my possession. But, I would need to be able to package the bees in an efficient, sufficient way to allow ventilation, transportation, and separation from the queen, who also needs the same things. Any alternatives to the screen boxes, (and if not, where can I find those?) or places to keep the growing colony temporarily without needing extra equipment?
    Send me a PM with your email and I will forward some info and can help you get setup a bit, as well as some advice.