Hybrid View

Default Bee's ejecting larvae after moving frames around

I installed a 5 frame nuc 3 weeks ago and they have not even drawn out one whole frame yet. There are 2 half drawn and one partial. I moved the 2 frames of solid honey, one to each outer wall. I also moved a brood frame and put a undrawn foundation in its spot. Tonight I checked them and they were on front perch dropping larvae on the ground and trying to fly off with them. Why would it be taking them so long to draw out the foundation. Why would they eject their own larvae? I went back out there and put the brood frame back where it was hoping they would stop. They definitely dont like being messed with at night, smoke or no smoke.

Default Re: Bee's ejecting larvae after moving frames around

If you moved that frame of brood to far away from the cluster of bees, they got too cold and the larvae died. The bees are removing the dead larvae and cleaning the cells out for eventual re-use.

If they have not drawn any frames out, you currently do not have a nectar flow and you should be feeding them until you get a nectar flow.

I would suggest you do not separate brood frames from each other unless you have plenty of bees to cover them and you have a specific reason for doing so. The bees will manage expanding the brood nest all by themselves, it's rarely necessary to "help" them with it.

Tomorrow, put the honey frames back next to the brood nest and feed them 1:1 syrup if you are not currently. If you have open brood with little or no pollen going in, I would also feed either dry pollen supplement or a partial pollen supplement patty -- be careful with the latter, as the small hive beetles will take over if the bees are not using it.

It can take a while for a nuc to start expanding -- three weeks is a single round of brood.

Peter

I have been feeding them from day one, 1:1 surup and pollen patties. I have seen threads where packages had drawn 6-7 frames in two weeks. Nuc's are supposed to give you a head start, I would have thought they would have drawn most of the empty frames by now.

If you are using plastic foundation I have found that it takes much longer for them to draw it out...Good advice from psfred....Oh wouldn't advise messing with the girls at night, they need their beauty sleep, and they think you are a bear...Best to look in on them during nice sunny days when most of the hive is out foraging.

Thumbs Up Re: Bee's ejecting larvae after moving frames around

Bees crawl at night. I got stung two hundred times one night. It was just a few bees crawling up my arms and stinging through my shirt, it wasn't that bad. Haven't done anything at night since.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

They were definitely more aggressive but I moved fast and put that frame of brood back where it had been. No stings, but I was geared up!