Default Shipping/Transporting Queens?

Hi All,
    Wondering if a beek should put some worker bees in with queens when shipping or transporting in queen cages to outyards??

During hot weather what is the safe way to transport queens?

Sold a caged queen to a beek today and she was healthy and laying well and was very active until he got home with her and he said he thought she had died (was in the 90's today). I think he kept her in his car after he bought her for several hours before going home to put her in his colony but kept windows partially down.

It sounds like the heat cooked her, I did not cage any workers with her would it help the queens if I did?
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Shipping/Transporting Queens?

Do you have dummy insurance? I personally doubt it would make much difference, but you could put seven or eight workers in a cage and field test them in a 90 degree car with the windows partially rolled down. I think the customer killed a queen.

I feel really bad about the situation as he is a newbie but I believe he killed her as well!
    Just for the record the queen was delivered by me at a halfway meeting location and not shipped.
    Also sounds like he had to go back to work before going home and I think that is when she got cooked!?

She was a good laying queen that I grafted from my own stocks and she had 4 of the 5 frames full of eggs/larva and capped brood.

What do you think is fair to remedy the situation and get his colony going with a strong queen?
    I am debating about giving him a break on another queen but then the queen died from his doings!?
    Like us on Facebook

Depends on if you have plenty of queen! That is a hard one. I am contemplating going into the selling spring nuc business and I will have to deal with this kind of thing too. I am soft headed and hearted myself. I think I would want at least half on a replacement and wouldn't see you could be faulted if you just told him he needs to be more careful in the future. The gas to meet him half way was fully reimbursed in your original price--right? I just drove out to an old mans, went thru bees he didn't get from me and ended up giving him some frames I had in the truck because his stuff was such junk. I can afford to be a nice guy, you have to decide if it is in your margin.

Vance you will definitely run into some of these issues when selling nucs and queens.
    Did not charge him for gas as I was going that way for an appointment anyway but did drive a extra 10 miles round trip beyond to meet up with him. Guess I am soft hearted as well. I really like to see newbies succeed in beekeeping and go out of my way to help them so the don't make all the mistakes that I did when I first started!
    Like us on Facebook