Default Medium to Deep boxes

I am going to be getting several medium nucs, however I run deep brood boxes with medium honey supers. Is there an easy way to convert the mediums into a deep? If I put all the mediums in a deep box and just added deep frames to draw comb and lay brood on, would that work? Thanks

Default Re: Medium to Deep boxes

dont quit follow your second statement... but the easist and simplist way is to place the medium box on the bottom, add your new deep of foundation on top and feed like you should... then in early spring when you should be reversing your boxes, you will find the lower medium (may find it this fall) will be empty with no brood or anything (maybe a little pollen), just add a new deep box (now doublde deep) and just use the now empty medium box comb for your honey supers...

Make sense... ?

if you put mediums in deep boxes the bees may (probably) build comb on the bottoms. to the extent they build drone brood you can trim it off (drone brood trapping of varroa mites).
    If you have medium boxes you can put them on the bottom and put your deep box above.
    I think you are asking about having a deep box, say 10 frame, with 5 medium frames and 5 deep frames. That may work although they may make a mess with building comb. They can pull the deep frames out quite far on the lower portionwhere there is a medium beside. So I'd put the 5 deep frames one one side and the 5 medium on the other.
    t
    Or, you could try a medium box -- might be very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bee Farm View Post
    dont quit follow your second statement... but the easist and simplist way is to place the medium box on the bottom, add your new deep of foundation on top and feed like you should... then in early spring when you should be reversing your boxes, you will find the lower medium (may find it this fall) will be empty with no brood or anything (maybe a little pollen), just add a new deep box (now doublde deep) and just use the now empty medium box comb for your honey supers...
    Great idea!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Or if you're up for it there are two options. 1) Do a cutout 2) pull out the sides and bottom of the frames and add on deep size sides.

If the frames aren't glued you can easily pull it apart.

I have transferred langstroth frames into a TBH by removing the sides and bottom of a frame.

Jack
    http://losaltoshoneybees.wordpress.com

Buffalo Bee Farm that is a great idea and makes sense, since I am getting two of these I can try both your suggestion of placing the medium box on the bottom as well as mine and just see which one seems to be the most productive and yield the best results.

I use both deeps and med.

If you want to transition a med that was brood to a honey super, just move it to the top of the hive. The brood will hatch out in 21 days and the nurse bees will care for them for that time. then you have an empty super on the top which the bees will back fill with honey.

Put the deep on the bot and by fall you should be set.